LED Anchor light

srm

Visit site
I have two portable LED anchor lights with photoelectric cells so can sleep in. Placing them in the rigging puts them at eye level for the local boats that could otherwise run you down and afterwards claim (with some justification) that they did not see the single light way up at the top of your mast when closing on your position.

Have heard the sugestion that the cold light from an LED at the mast head looks like a star, so if you want to use a mast top anchor light an incandecent bulb could be a safer bet.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I've had an LED anchor light for some years now. It is much brighter and whiter than incandescent bulbs so we stand out clearly in an anchorage - well at least until everyone has LED lights!

I would go down the LED route again, not only for the brightness but also for the tiny current drain.

jdc

Visit site
I'd defiately go for the LED light as the current drain is so low you can afford to have two on at the same time: one in the fore-triangle and one at masthead.

Visit site
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1FFNBEHT3IPHC

I know there has been lots of discussion on the merits of a mast anchor light over lower level deck lighting and we certainly prefer the latter, particularly in busy anchorages with a constant flow of fishing boats in and out throughout the night. Can I recommend one of these for hanging in the rigging, or anywhere else for that matter when at anchor...this has been brilliant in our first few years of liveaboard life... you can get cheaper ones but the build of this is top notch and most importantly it shines brightly all through the night...one of my "best buys" for sure.

Oh and just to add although on the description it says 8 hours of light this is a very conservative estimate and in practise it last longer..

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
I've had an LED anchor light for some years now. It is much brighter and whiter than incandescent bulbs so we stand out clearly in an anchorage - well at least until everyone has LED lights!

I would go down the LED route again, not only for the brightness but also for the tiny current drain.

+1 and one with a built in light sensor, they are only around £10.00 in UK.

https://boatlamps.co.uk/collections/anchor-lights

Last edited:

rivonia

Visit site
We had THREE led anchor lights. One on the top of the mast. One at the stern and one half way up the mast. Everyone could see us and it was easy to finder her in a crowded anchorage at night. Local fishermen could see us.