Leaving in May

chris505

Visit site
We are leaving the UK in May 2002 crossing to France and using the slow route round to Gib, we can not go through the canels as our keel is to deep. Has anyone any usefull tips? we are going for 6 months at first to see if the boat is right for us, its a Hustler 25.5 a very good sea boat but not that roomy.

MedMan

teall.name
I know it sounds awfully like a plug - well, OK, it is a plug - but you might find a few hints in our book, "Brighton to the Mediterranean". My wife Pat and I have lived aboard our Trident Voyager 35 for the past 4 years. We are currently moored in Croatia. We left Brighton in March 1998 and spent our first year going around the outside to Gibraltar and into the Med overwintering in Almerimar. The book is published by Adlard Coles Nautical ISBN 0-7136-5356-6.

That first year still holds some of our best memories. Take it slowly. Enjoy the islands off the South Brittany coast, experience the thrill of crossing into the Vende region with its red roofs and Mediterranean atmosphere, don't miss out the northern coast of Spain, dally a while (and a bit longer) in the Spanish Rias, especially between La Coruna and Bayona, team up with the transatlantic sailors as you ride the trade winds down the Portugese coast, relax as the pace of life calms down, along with the swell, as you round Cabo St Vincente and into the Algarve and have the sail of your life as you pass through that narrow Strait that divides Europe from Africa.

Enjoy!

David

ccscott49

Visit site
David, How do you find Croatia? or should I buy the book? As you may know, I'm in Lagos at the moment, then balleares, winter in Barcelone. Next year, maybe Croatia, I need some better first hand knowledge, not that a bad report has stopped me in the past I admit!!!

MedMan

teall.name
We arrived in Croatia on 20th April 2001 having travelled north from our winter base in Malta. We had originally intended to return south for the winter but we loved it so much that we decided to stay. Croatia is a fabulous cruising destination: the scenery is stunning, anchorages are plentiful, and there is always a harbour or marina within reach. If you are hesitant about heading this way, don't be. It is the best cruising that we have found so far.

No book planned this time, I am afraid, but with luck there will be a five or six page article in the summer edition of Cruising - the Cruising Association's journal.

Happy sailing,

David

JohnR

Visit site
<<How do you find Croatia?>>
Left out of Lagos, through the narrow bit and after the country shaped like a boot turn left and you should find it on your right.

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Seems like you really love it. there. I sailed there many years in the early parts of my life, (in the 1960ies) and it was great, exceptt maybe for the lack of wind besides the occasional Bora or Scirocco. My brother is still sailing there a lot, but says it is getting quite crowded. Best time according to him was during the war.
So, how crowded is it? It is more curiousity, I don't plan to sail into the med in the near future..

MedMan

teall.name
If you ignore mid July to mid August it is not crowded at all. We enjoyed night after night as the only yacht in some quite delightful anchorages. Those that stayed for the Mid-Summer Italian Invasion (we came home!) said it was pretty hectic. One of the good things about being a free spirit is the ability to choose when you do what rather than being railroaded by other people's schedules.

David

G

Chris

With 4 feet you will have no problems with the cannels, we came up the Rhone to Paris and out with friend in Dunkerque on a contessa 32 with 1.75m about 5.8feet, took 3 months but a fantastic trip and a good way to get use to living on the boat.
Chris