Learning

JMM

Visit site
Hi,

Sorry if this is too trivial, but can any of you recommend

a: A good practical sailing school for Day Skipper tuition;

b: A (good) sailing school that runs ladies-only courses.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon M.

jeanette

Visit site
B.O.S.S

http://www.boss-sail.co.uk/

Alternatively, pick up a copy of YM and go to the classifieds section. There are lots to choose from, they are all approved and all of those I have sailed with (at least 5) have been nothing less than professional.

Jeanette

jtwebb

Visit site
My wife also would say Boss. However, regarding the ladies only courses her argument is that a few men are handy to do the hard work. She always went on the normal courses.

J Webb

NickHarley

Visit site
I did my day skipper last year at a company called Four-Winds based near Beauleiu, and a friend did his there last weekend.

Seemed excellent & nice thing is that boat used is a 40 footer so a bit more comfort than many school boats - skipper also did good food. Possibly a bit less 'macho' in general than some schools.

Having said that, skipper did used to work for BOSS & he said it was very good - especially if you're thinking of becoming a professional skipper etc.

Good luck with it anyway!

phanakapan

Visit site
just a thought, but theres a lot more to learning to be a skipper than just the practical aspects. When I did my day skipper, there was a mixed bunch of people on board, including another woman doing comp crew with no experience at all, and an older man who thought he knew it all. Part of my learning curve that week was to get a taste of what it was like to be skipper (i.e "in charge" ) of this mixed bunch (albeit briefly!). However, your lady may already have superb people handling skills, and an all woman course does sound like fun! Best of luck