Leaking Stern Gland!

Cspirit

Visit site
Managed to collect an enormous tarpaulin around the prop today. Dived over and cleared it but I now have a leak from the stern gland - about 2+ litres an hour caused, I guess by the tarp wrap around the prop. I’m now in Ios, Cyclades and the nearest haul out facility is probably at Leros, some 90+ miles away.

My questions are twofold. Is the current leak likely to get any worse. I plan to haul out in about tend days time. Secondly, I’d there anything that I can do to reduce the leak? I don’t know the brand of this stern gland - nothing written on it - but its only around two years old. I’m reluctant to do start to do anything without advice for fear of making thinks worse.

I’m tempted to install a traditional stuffing box over the winter.....

If it’s relevant, the boat is a Westerly Corsair and the engine is a Bet 38hp. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Bob

Attachments

• 2AA0284F-8334-4477-A5F5-6B65178DACFF.jpg
    2AA0284F-8334-4477-A5F5-6B65178DACFF.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 5

dslittle

Visit site
An old fisherman once told me to shred a tea towel in an emergency and feed it into the stern gland to create a temporary stuffing box to get the boat home. Never needed to do so (thankfully) but I have always thought it was a good trick - if it works - you might let us know!!!

Gwylan

Visit site
Try getting some silicone grease into the gland, where the shaft enters on the inboard side. Is it the Volvo sort of gland that needs 'burping'? That is to get the internal lips pushed against the shaft by the water pressure.

As you can read I have a considerable grasp of the technical terms.

Really would recommend using a Radice [sp?] gland when you do come to replace it.

Good luck with sorting it

Tranona

Visit site
That is a Volvo stern seal. Surprised it leaks just because of the fouled prop as it seals with two lip seals moulded into the forward end. Does it leak when not running or only when running? If the latter you may have more damage such as a bent shaft which could cause a leak. Anyway try greasing it (which you should do at least once a year anyway). You can either use the nozzle on the Volvo grease tube or load some silicone grease into a plastic straw, squash the end and slide it in the end of the seal past the lips. It will also need "burping" by squeezing the end to allow air to escape and water to fill the tube.

No need to fit a stuffing box. The Volvo seal is a much better device. However you might want to investigate the mounting on the stern tube. I have never seen that sort of arrangement. The seal normally clamps straight onto the solid end of the stern tube - you don't need the flexible rubber that seems to be fitted here.

If you do need to replace the seal, suggest you use the Radice version which is an improvement in that it has an air vent and a greasing point.

You might also consider fitting a proper rope cutter (if you have not already got one) as that is likely to reduce the impact of a fouled prop such as you had.

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
That is a Volvo stern seal. Surprised it leaks just because of the fouled prop as it seals with two lip seals moulded into the forward end. Does it leak when not running or only when running? If the latter you may have more damage such as a bent shaft which could cause a leak. Anyway try greasing it (which you should do at least once a year anyway). You can either use the nozzle on the Volvo grease tube or load some silicone grease into a plastic straw, squash the end and slide it in the end of the seal past the lips. It will also need "burping" by squeezing the end to allow air to escape and water to fill the tube.

No need to fit a stuffing box. The Volvo seal is a much better device. However you might want to investigate the mounting on the stern tube. I have never seen that sort of arrangement. The seal normally clamps straight onto the solid end of the stern tube - you don't need the flexible rubber that seems to be fitted here.

If you do need to replace the seal, suggest you use the Radice version which is an improvement in that it has an air vent and a greasing point.

You might also consider fitting a proper rope cutter (if you have not already got one) as that is likely to reduce the impact of a fouled prop such as you had.

Top advice.

It looks as if it is mounted on a cut down traditional bronze stuffing box, using the existing cuff. If the tube and cut down stuffing box are the same size, removing the cuff and cut down piece would allow the Volvo stuffing box to be mounted diect.
This would, of course, require the coupling to be removed to slide it all off the forward end of the shaft. An out of the water job.

It is possible that a piece of the tarpaulin has got under the Volvo's twin lip seals. Carefull prodding with a thin, rounded edge stiff tool might dislodge it. Even a flattened McDonalds straw!

I extended the replacement ASAP Orbitrade stuffing box with a 200mm length of thick wall GRP tube and a new cuff, purely to improve access for servicing on our present boat.

I was fortunate in being able to use one with a self bleeding tube and a grease point.

So much better than a traditional stern gland in my application.

I hope you fix it-good luck.

PS- do you have the plastic split fitting ring to keep the lips from damage during fitting/moving of the stuffing box? Dont try without it.

Cspirit

Visit site
Thanks to all. Crisis averted by careful and copious introduction of grease so that we now just have drips of seawater. Hopefully this will see us back to Samos and ashore in the first week of November. I will then replace the stern gland with either a new Volvo or preferably the Radice. So again, thanks. Bob