Leaking Houdini Hatches

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
Does anyone have experience of repairing leaking Houdini Hatches. MD has two, one over the forward bunk, where it drips onto SWMBO's side of the bed (!) and one over the saloon table. The hatches do not appear to be through bolted, but screwed into the (fairly substantial) deck moulding. Thus, water doesn't appear to be coming in via the fastenings. Thus, suspicion falls on the hatches themselves. The rubber gaskets seem to be in good condition, so I am somewhat at a loss! When I removed the wooden hatch lining (teak and teak veneer) it appeared (from the staining of the wood) that there had been prolonged water ingress. Is there anything I can adjust on the hatch to give a tighter seal?

Thanks in anticipation.

Alisdair

Dipper

Visit site
My Houdini hatch doesn't leak but because it is a thick plate of glass, condensation with subsequent dripping can be a minor problem if ventilation is not adequate.

[3889]

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You could try "Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure", it worked on mine, after a couple of treatments as per instructions. Available from most chandlers.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had success with this for 1 season then gave up and fitted a lewmar.

charles_reed

Visit site
No easy answer

My experience with the Lewmar hatches as follows
Here's a check-list, starting with the most common reasons for leaks:-

1. Leakage between hatch coaming and gasket - a temporary mitigation by using silicone grease around the gasket. Long-term replacing the gasket (usually part of the glazing system) is the only cure.
2. Leakage through the glands of the fastners - replace the O-rings after taking them apart.
3. Leakage through the glazing system - replace rubber moulding and re-seal acrylic into frame.
4. Leak under combing - caused either by a drill hole for the hatch closure leaking or the original bedding giving up the ghost.

Rory_McGee

Visit site
Hi Pete,

Mine is also leaking between the glass and frame joint. I can't see how it can be easily taken apart to replace the seal so all I can think if is silicone or a new hatch?
Or possibly replace the hatch but keep the surrounding frame (remove at the hinges)?

How did you solve it?

Rory

mormargh

Visit site
Apologies I have not yet located the diagrams, but as there seem to be a few people with probs, I will relate the problems with ours and the solution.

Ours leaked in two places for different reasons. The first is dripping from the join in the aluminium frame in line with the left hand hinge as you look from the opening end. It appears this is due to the sealant used to bed the hinges degrading, helped by the combination of aluminium frame, steel screws and a supply of salt water. The rubber seal itself is attached with decent stuff. Use a sharp knife to cut under the (decent) sealant where the hinge screws are so you can get at them and remove the bars and hinges. Clean the (degraded and powdery) sealant away, dry out completely with hairdryer or similar and redo with the clear Dow Corning waterproof stuff. Once reassembled, squirt some more in between rubber seal and frame. I found it easier to do one hinge at a time. Warning - do not overtighten screws as plastic is soft.

Leak 2 occurred in the handles. The factory told me that if the jig used in manufacture was slightly out, the screws fixing the handles to the frame can push through the seal. The silicone grease in the handles eventually washes out. Prise off the screw covers and remove the retaining screws (the pivot should hold the handle in place). Scrape the old stuff out if there's any left, clean up, dry thoroughly as above and squirt the Dow Corning stuff into each hole before replacing the screws. Level it off and allow to cure. Clean off screw covers and reseat with thin smear of silicone grease or similar (not the Dow Corning or you will never get at them again).

This is all based on personal experience and specific to the issues we had. However, Gebo were marketing a direct replacement last year and as soon as the current ones reach their life expectancy, I'm switching.

Hope this is of use/interest.

paulwitney

Visit site
My Houdini hatch was leaking around rubber seal at rear near hinges. I purchased 2 metre of neoprene hatch sealing tape. 3mm by 10mm. This was cut in half (that is neoprene was now 5mm wide) and one half was attached to the frame directly against the edge where the original rubber seal mated and the rest to the rubber seal itself. NO MORE LEAKS!