lead casting

jon

Visit site
I have just cast my own lead ballast of 3 tons, and found it not only a great way to save money but also a great experience and surprisingly easy. If any one would like to do the same I would be willing to advise and hire out at v reasonable cost my setup (Cornwall).

G

Just a word of caution that is probably unessassay. Have you considered lead toxicity, particularly from molton fumes and you liability if you advise someone who poisons themselves. I only say this because I watched (and tried to warn) a neighbour who was happily melting lead ingots to cast into a keel INSIDE his steel hull. I declined the invite to watch.

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

G

I totally agree with Roland. I have worked as an industrial chemist and am very well aware - to my personal cost- of the potential hazards of such an operation.
This is a very serious, albeit admirable, DIY project. It would only be advised if you have detailed knowledge of the correct type of mask/respirator system to use.
Sorry to sound like wet blanket.

jon

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice- I should have said that of course there is always the risk of lead poisoning,we did the smelting out in the open with the wind in the right direction wearing leather protective clothing and last and most importantly wearing disposable fume masks(not dust masks) If you are sensible it is a very worthwhile exercise, I saved over £3000 on my 3 ton keel and had the satisfaction of recycling all that old roof lead from around Cornwall that would have eventually gone up country for smelting any way!