Late July trip to CIs

Andy Bav

Visit site
We have decided that the CI's will be our big trip this year (late July) and are possibly cruising in company with another forum member but would be interested to hear if anyone is "going across" around that time.

Looking at tide times on our anticipated departure date we will need to set of around 06.00 ish when the day / water is usually calmer, but am drawing up a shopping list of additional items we think we will need, other than a weather window of course.

List is as below, but would be grateful for any tips, advice or additional items and whether you regard them as essential or nice to have. The boat will be serviced and antifouled 2 weeks before our planned trip so she should be in sound mechanical order and nice and slippery. We'll probably take a North Western approach from Dartmouth.

Radar - not installed yet
Radar reflector - we have AIS though ?
Passports
Q Flag
Handheld VHF in addition to fixed
Lifebuoy ?
Flares (?) - jurys out on this one though, but we do have a Coastal pack at present
Open mind as regards date of travel
Provisions / Alcohol
Luck

Talulah

Visit site
Channel Island Charts - essential
No one bothers with Q flag.
Dinghy - essential if visiting the different islands. Outboard desirable.
Chart Plotter is a really nice to have.
Disposable barbecues for beach (or Cobb).
Sun block.
Large tub of Sudocreme for those that get burnt.
Radar Reflector is a Requirement (Under SOLAS regs)
Really bright torch - essential.

Last edited:

MystereMarcus

Visit site
As the Channel Islands is outside the EU you will need to complete a C1331 form available here:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/c1331.pdf. I have a feeling that you are not required to carry passports to the CI's but they are always a good idea.
Don't take too much in the way of alcohol, it's much cheaper there. And brim your fuel tanks up before returning.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
As the Channel Islands is outside the EU you will need to complete a C1331 form available here:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/c1331.pdf. I have a feeling that you are not required to carry passports to the CI's but they are always a good idea.
Don't take too much in the way of alcohol, it's much cheaper there. And brim your fuel tanks up before returning.

I'd bet that 90% don't complete the C1331, we used to until our local HM said that he collected them on behalf of HMC and when the drawer was full he binned them all. Not once did anyone from HMC collect them, probably a 15 year period.

We now haven't filled one out for 10 years plus and go to CIs once or twice most years. And I'd say that certainly in Guernsey wine is no less expensive than supermarkets here. The big saving is to be had in France.

dj43

Visit site
We have decided that the CI's will be our big trip this year (late July) and are possibly cruising in company with another forum member but would be interested to hear if anyone is "going across" around that time.

Looking at tide times on our anticipated departure date we will need to set of around 06.00 ish when the day / water is usually calmer, but am drawing up a shopping list of additional items we think we will need, other than a weather window of course.

List is as below, but would be grateful for any tips, advice or additional items and whether you regard them as essential or nice to have. The boat will be serviced and antifouled 2 weeks before our planned trip so she should be in sound mechanical order and nice and slippery. We'll probably take a North Western approach from Dartmouth.

Passports
Q Flag
Lifebuoy ?
Flares (?) - jurys out on this one though, but we do have a Coastal pack at present
Provisions / Alcohol
Luck

Hi we always take out travel insurance when we visit the the channel isles, to cover any unexpected visits to doctors and hospital, as your EHIC card is not valid there,
We hope to be there sometime this year, if I ever get my injectors sorted :)

MinorSwing

Visit site

Passports
Q Flag
Lifebuoy ?
Provisions / Alcohol
Luck
You are not ready for this trip. If you were, you wouldn't be asking for people here to give you a checklist.
A bit more research perhaps for the sake of safety; perhaps even some help from a sea school.

Solitaire

Visit site
I'm going over next week to bring a Botnia Targa back. Fly out Sourhampton, taxi to St Peter Port, jump on boat, start engines. Head back! Should take about 5 hrs. Up through little Russell , out by the Casquets (Swinge if it looks ok) then head 025 T to Fairway Buoy. Give or take 125nm. Easy! :encouragement:

Andy Bav

Visit site
You are not ready for this trip. If you were, you wouldn't be asking for people here to give you a checklist.
A bit more research perhaps for the sake of safety; perhaps even some help from a sea school.

Thanks for yours, and previous posters comments. Difficult to quote all details in a post but are well qualified as a family, PB & DS and are confident, but not over confident I hasten to add.

My questions we more from tips and advice perspective than a confidence booster.

We are looking at fuel berth and Beaucette on return leg but we cant book anywhere so far in advance as weather controls all.

We have plotter installed, just need to plumb in a radar, and safety has always been our priority.

Eldest son worked in France and is now a wine snob, so is also looking at French ports as well... to top up his wine collection, so thanks for the tip re Guernsey prices !

Also thanks re insurance !

jfm

Visit site
Looking at tide times on our anticipated departure date we will need to set of around 06.00 ish
I don't know how you can state a time till you know the wind. In a fast mobo you need to look at the wind direction and then arrive at the race at a time when you have wind with tide not wind against tide. Regardless of whether the tide is fair or foul as regards your intended passage. Of course if you just happen to get a day with no wind then you can aim to arrive at the race when the tide is nicely pushing you along. The wave forms in wind-against-tide situations can be very dangerous - read Piers' account of his v39 crossing. Wishing to be constructive not awkward/snooty, but the fact you don't know this might mean some homework is in order! :D. Obviously more relevant at springs than neaps because the tidal streams are x2 on springs

As regards the kit list it looks good to me. AIS receiver can never be a substitute for a RR because they just do different things hence they are not interchangeable. However an AIS transmitter would be a substitute for a RR

Just my personal view but I don't have much belief in lifebuoys. If someone fell off I'd want to do something faster than run along a side deck, unclip it, maybe untangle the line then throw a canister with 3x D cell batteries at their head. The auto inflate jonbuoy ones are quite nice but MCA think they tend to blow away. I'd probably chuck them the first thing that came to hand like a sofa cushion. But honestly the probability/risk of someone falling overboard feels pretty low to me. In bad weather I'd have each outside person have an AIS/GPS PLB in their pocket

Make sure to have emergency numbers written down. It's not 999 in France, for example

Last edited:

Andy Bav

Visit site
I don't know how you can state a time till you know the wind. In a fast mobo you need to look at the wind direction and then arrive at the race at a time when you have wind with tide not wind against tide. Regardless of whether the tide is fair or foul as regards your intended passage. Of course if you get a day with no wind then you can aim to arrive when the tide is nicely pushing you along. That's how I'd do it anyway. Obviously more relevant at springs than neaps because the tidal streams are x2 on springs

t

Thanks. Just assuming a perfect start to a perfect week - I suppose we can deeam though...

I have 2 weeks off work, but eldest only 1 so we have accepted we will probably only be "abroad" for 3 days... 5 at a push, and the start could be on Saturday, 4 days later... or not at all, in which case Cornwall or the Dorset coast beckons and if it does, SWMBO has mentioned the Med a few times already....but thats another story.

Beamishken

Visit site
what a condescending thing to say!
None of us would go anywhere if we didnt push our own boundaries
the op is doing the sensible thing and asking advice from more experienced people
good luck to him!
Enjoy the trip

Solitaire

Visit site
Thanks for yours, and previous posters comments. Difficult to quote all details in a post but are well qualified as a family, PB & DS and are confident, but not over confident I hasten to add.

My questions we more from tips and advice perspective than a confidence booster.

We are looking at fuel berth and Beaucette on return leg but we cant book anywhere so far in advance as weather controls all.

We have plotter installed, just need to plumb in a radar, and safety has always been our priority.

Eldest son worked in France and is now a wine snob, so is also looking at French ports as well... to top up his wine collection, so thanks for the tip re Guernsey prices !

Also thanks re insurance !

Beaucette is a great place, but you will need to work back from when you can enter due to it's tidal entrance. The guys there are great and they have a nice visitor pontoon. Bus stop is about 10 min walk, but bus service is good value. My favourite marina!

Solitaire

Visit site
just need to plumb in a radar, and safety has always been our priority.!

Installing radar is one thing! What plotter do you have? Radar is a very valuable tool, but you need to know what it us you are "seeing " and how to use both the VRM and EBL. And what each means. I hope I'm not teaching grannie to suck eggs, having the kit is one thing, knowing what it says is another!

Andy Bav

Visit site
Installing radar is one thing! What plotter do you have? Radar is a very valuable tool, but you need to know what it us you are "seeing " and how to use both the VRM and EBL. And what each means. I hope I'm not teaching grannie to suck eggs, having the kit is one thing, knowing what it says is another!

Thanks - its a Garmin plotter and I am getting the radar overlaid on that (electronically). In one respect I am that Grannie, but eldest has a 1st Class Masters in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and is keen to get to grips with it as he works with them on a daily basis in his day job - hence a critical crew member. Oh and he is about to complete his Day Skipper as well ...puts me to shame actually.

Solitaire

Visit site
Thanks - its a Garmin plotter and I am getting the radar overlaid on that (electronically). In one respect I am that Grannie, but eldest has a 1st Class Masters in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and is keen to get to grips with it as he works with them on a daily basis in his day job - hence a critical crew member. Oh and he is about to complete his Day Skipper as well ...puts me to shame actually.
Oh dear! What do you mean he works with it every day? Electronics or marine radar in real time? I never use the radar overlay on the chart. Too much info.

Bandit

Visit site
Fair weather ( depends on Boat size and type)
Aim to hit Alderney race or Swinge at slack water.

St Peter Port Swan pontoons 24 hr access, so arrive any time then into St peter Port Marina or Beaucette.

Beaucette not for the faint hearted.

Don't rule out French ports , Cherbourg, Dielette or Carteret ( the Latter is a favourite).

Cheap fuel direct from the tanker at St Sampsons Rubis/ Fuel Supplies.

A radar reflector is good

If Son only has a week and you have other crew good air connections to Gatwick , Southampton, Stansted etc or sea to Portsmouth, Poole or Weymouth ( condor Ferries), If the weathers good stay.

MinorSwing

Visit site
what a condescending thing to say!
None of us would go anywhere if we didnt push our own boundaries
the op is doing the sensible thing and asking advice from more experienced people
good luck to him!
Enjoy the trip
The trip from Dartmouth to Guernsey is a simple one, especially in a motor boat. However, it's not one to be undertaken by the inexperienced unless they are competent and are aware of the potential problems, the main one in the Channel Islands being fog combined with lots of inconveniently placed rocks and powerful tides A lovely place to visit by boat but a death trap for the unwary.
None of that should prevent anyone from making the trip as long as they are prepared. Well done for being anguished on behalf of the OP but his reply didn't suggest that he was particularly offended.