Late 1990's RYA Instructor Hythe Marina

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I think I may have lost all of my RYA certificates (ICC, Day Skipper Practical, Day Skipper and Yachtmaster Theory).

All I really care about now is the ICC. I did the practical with a guy called Mike who ran a Broom TS37 out of Hythe. Is he still around? Does anyone know if passes were registered with the RYA or would he have records?

I'm not sure I ever registered with the RYA myself.

Pete

Mr Googler

Visit site
I think I may have lost all of my RYA certificates (ICC, Day Skipper Practical, Day Skipper and Yachtmaster Theory).

All I really care about now is the ICC. I did the practical with a guy called Mike who ran a Broom TS37 out of Hythe. Is he still around? Does anyone know if passes were registered with the RYA or would he have records?

Pete

I think that was top deck sea school. I can get in touch with Dave,formally owner aquapower if you don't get far as I know he did some work with them. I'm not up on the rya policies anymore but would imagine you might need to do an icc assessment. It has to be reissued every 5 years anyway. Hopefully the current experts will be along shortly.

Solitaire

Visit site

Pete

Pete, the only qualification that may be on record with the RYA now is the ICC. When you did your original course the Day Skipper practical would not have been registered with the RYA - that has now changed. Ring the RYA and ask them to check for you. Although the ICC is valid for 5 years, it as such does not expire, simply renewed with an updated picture!

petem

Pete, the only qualification that may be on record with the RYA now is the ICC. When you did your original course the Day Skipper practical would not have been registered with the RYA - that has now changed. Ring the RYA and ask them to check for you. Although the ICC is valid for 5 years, it as such does not expire, simply renewed with an updated picture!

Thanks Solitaire, I'll give them a call.

Just our of interest, what happened to Top Deck and Mike?

I guess failing that could I get an RYA instructor to spend a day with me on the new boat (once found / purchased) and give me a bit of a refresher and assess me for ICC?

petem

Phoned them and RYA have no record of my qualifications. As I'm bit rusty my gut feel is to have sone refresher training and fresh assessment. I assume this could be done on own boat in a couple of days?

Solitaire

Visit site
Phoned them and RYA have no record of my qualifications. As I'm bit rusty my gut feel is to have sone refresher training and fresh assessment. I assume this could be done on own boat in a couple of days?
You can do an ICC asessment on your own boat. You can see what is involved by dienloading the ICC application form off the RYA website.
On another point, the ICC is valid for 5 years. You dont retake anything just submit a new picture and pay up if you are not an RYA member.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
That's very strange - I called the RYA last year and renewed my ICC after a long gap - about 12 years. I'd changed address since the previous renewal, but once we'd established that there wasn't a problem.

petem

The problem is that my I was never a member of the RYA and my ICC was never registered. And I've lost my paper copy. But looking at the RYA web site, it suggests that none of this matters and I can effectively self certify. Am I reading it correctly?

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectio...Documents/Boating Abroad/ICC Renewal Form.pdf

In any case, with a significant number of years in between boats, going larger and med mooring being unfamiliar, I think I'l get some tuition anyhow.

Pete

ebbanflo

Visit site
As Powerskipper says, the Birchwood TS 37 went to a sea school (I think) in Scotland. I did my Day Skipper/radar/radio training with Mike in 2002/3 out of Hythe. I saw Mike maybe 6/7 years ago as we sailed past each other in Southampton water. He has retired and I think still might live on the eastern edge of the New Forest - not far from Hythe. There was another chap in Hythe alongside the TS 37's berth (in a Nelson / Aquastar called Trinity Star) who used to do the radar training for Mike's courses. I think his name was Alan and he might know how to contact Mike, who I'm sure will have kept records. As I recall, Alan was refurbishing an MTB!

Blue Sunray

Visit site
As Powerskipper says, the Birchwood TS 37 went to a sea school (I think) in Scotland. I did my Day Skipper/radar/radio training with Mike in 2002/3 out of Hythe. I saw Mike maybe 6/7 years ago as we sailed past each other in Southampton water. He has retired and I think still might live on the eastern edge of the New Forest - not far from Hythe. There was another chap in Hythe alongside the TS 37's berth (in a Nelson / Aquastar called Trinity Star) who used to do the radar training for Mike's courses. I think his name was Alan and he might know how to contact Mike, who I'm sure will have kept records. As I recall, Alan was refurbishing an MTB!

Trinity Star is certainly still there - her AIS seems to be always on.

Hurricane

Visit site
The problem is that my I was never a member of the RYA and my ICC was never registered. And I've lost my paper copy. But looking at the RYA web site, it suggests that none of this matters and I can effectively self certify. Am I reading it correctly?

From what you are saying, I suggest that you never actually had an ICC.
You would have been eligible for one after doing your Day Skipper but you would have had to have applied for the actual ICC at that time.
So, the RYA wouldn't have known about you if you hadn't applied for it.

We have just renewed SWMBO's ICC and, as others have said, it is easy - no proof required for renewal as long as the qualifications haven't changed - just a new photo and payment or it is free if you are a member (family or personal membership). The ICC is the only reason that we are members of the RYA - it does nothing else for me at all.

petem

Hi Mike,

You could be correct. I do have a vague recollection of some ICC course completion slip that I got with my Day Skipper certificate (all now lost) but could be wrong. I probably didn't apply for my ICC at the time as I had no cause to.

To be honest, I'm not too stressed out about it, as I'll take some refresher training up before I get back on the water and could incorporate an ICC assessment.

And of course I've got the small matter of actually finding a boat to buy first :).

Pete

stelican

Visit site

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectio...Documents/Boating Abroad/ICC Renewal Form.pdf

In any case, with a significant number of years in between boats, going larger and med mooring being unfamiliar, I think I'l get some tuition anyhow.

Pete
Yes that would be a very good idea preferably in the mooring you will be using

petem

Yes that would be a very good idea preferably in the mooring you will be using

Do you remember that old chap (Ken?) 'instructor' that you guys recommended to me for some own boat tuition? He took us out on a windy day and he bashed my bathing platform (taking a big chunk of gel coat off) when demonstrating how to park the thing. I wasn't happy.

Last edited: