Lashbrook / Wargrave moorings

Teddy

Visit site
Does anybody know what is happening to these moorings? The signs have been removed as far as I can see, and there appears to be some red "no mooring, private land " signs up at various places. Are they not EA moorings anymore?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
To the best of my knowledge these moorings remain available as EA 24 hour visitor moorings. Current charge is free for 24 hours and £5.50 per extra 24 hours, max stay 72 hours. Pay at nearest lock - Marsh or Shiplake.
Since the EA took moorings management back in house there are no definitive signs at many EA moorings but the above info holds good for all 24 hour visitor sites.
TVM continue to list these sites as a public service but have no involvement in their management.
FF3F7F47-D657-4F92-BE0C-B39A555A417D.jpeg

Gibeltarik

Visit site
In the absence of EA signage it is not unknown for fishing clubs and some boaters (!) to take it upon themselves to put up their own signs.

Chris_d

Visit site
Those moorings are very poorly defined and signed, there is a privately owned section at the upstream end near where the footpath comes in and then it becomes private again at a some point downstream and behind the islands. As there are no EA signs defining the extremities you can only see the private no mooring signs at either end.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
we moored there on our holiday recently.

0E8349FF-534E-4E54-8725-C6F860C2D940.jpeg

As far as we could make out, the downstream end of the footpath (which is a dead end), was probably always a private mooring, but recently it looks like the landowners have sold of that small end plot of land and had a small property built on it. They have also cleared the trees to give that new property a riverside frontage. I’m guessing they don’t want boats moored at the end of their garden, so have now put up no mooring signs.
Further upstream next to the EA moorings (were we are in that image), again the landowner has cleared the trees to give a view of the river. I suspect the owner, judging by some new internal fences near that mooring, is looking to sell that small plot of to build a property on, and again is promoting a river view. The difference here is there is EA moorings at the end of the new plot. They haven’t put up no mooring signs here, but the EA ones have disappeared? Maybe to discourage boats appearing at the bottom of a plot he is maybe thinking of selling?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The footpath used to go to a ferry which crossed the River just above Hennerton backwater.

There has always been a cast alumimium Thames Conservancy mooring permitted sign near where the boat is in the picture above.

I think from memory it had arrows showing where mooring was and was not permitted.

Further down seems to be private but most of the actual bankside not adopted apart from where they have built the dwelling with the landrover outside.

And I think those wooden mooring posts are probably from Thames Water days but whether the EA actually own the land is of course a slightly different question.

DWT

Visit site
I think the TVM mooring signs disappeared quite some time ago. A no mooring sign went up on a tree a little way downstream from the gate to the footpath but disappeared quite quickly.
This spot is a long way from either Marsh or Shiplake lock and I doubt the keepers there ever monitor the site.
Interestingly the wooden posts continue quite a long way downstream, but are lost in the undergrowth.

oldgit

Visit site
Is there a map online anywhere showing all EA public moorings.
Do recall going past some perfectly acceptable moorings with EA signage but rarely ever with any boats moored there.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Is there a map online anywhere showing all EA public moorings.
Do recall going past some perfectly acceptable moorings with EA signage but rarely ever with any boats moored there.
There was a list provided by EA when the DE contract was introduced - but no map

Attachments

• 46398A68-65CB-4C97-98F3-9DF57B3E6DA6.jpeg
    46398A68-65CB-4C97-98F3-9DF57B3E6DA6.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1A047526-F159-4FD5-A26A-C681D6C6DEDF.jpeg
    1A047526-F159-4FD5-A26A-C681D6C6DEDF.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 10

Other threads that may be of interest