Largest yacht production run

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Which model of boat (excluding dinghies) has been made the most? I have no need to know, just interested. Here's my useless statistic contribution...

X99 started production in 1985, still ongoing, 630 boats made so far.

Any to beat that?

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

bigmart

Visit site
My old Eventide was first registered in 1966 & its sail no. was 995. They still sell plans today!

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

PerL

Visit site
Will beat that. At least 4 swedish models are above 3 000.

Albin Vega ('66-'80) numbered 3 400. I think the Albin Marine shipyard is/was located quite close to the Maxibåtar shipyard (see below).

IF boat (International Folkboat) ('67-early 80s) numbers roughly 3 600. Also by Albin Marine I think.

Maxi 77 was one of the most popular boats in the 70s. Roughly 3 800 boats were made by the yard (Maxibåtar) in Mariestad.

Nordisk Folkbåt (from the 40s until now), 4000 out of which only a 1000 in plastic.'

Bavaria manufactures around 2000 boats annually, they should be in the lead quite soon if not already.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
re Centaur

The yacht with the largest UK production run has always been the Centaur with 2444 built 1969- 1980. may have been topped by now but I doubt it. I'm sure there must be a lot of Benetaus!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

PerL

Visit site
We've got a great tradition of mass-producing sailing boats. But then again we've got a long coastline were we can dump them all.

My boat is no 1 in its series, wont get very far in this thread...

Per

<hr width=100% size=1>

PerL

Visit site
Seems like there is a winner!

My one objection would be that I thought this to be a dinghy. But it does seem to have both a sink and a keel, so it will have to be considered a proper boat.

By the way, I think the Optimists will win the "not-proper-boat-category". I have seen numbers of around 150 000. But there's also quite a few homemade ones.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PerL

Visit site
I doubt that there are more Lasers than optimists. According to some websites, there are 150' people racing optimists and 174' racing Lasers. They are however a bit different in character. The Laser is quite specifically made for competition whereas most optimists are used for learning to sail and for kids to roam around a bit on their own. There is a substantial element of competition in the Optimist world as well, but not at all comparable to Lasers.

When I was a kid all Lasers were for competing on some level whereas most of the optimists where not.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: re Centaur

I have seen a Centaur in every part of the world I've visited. There's one in the big marina in Key West and another up a creek on the Greek island of Kalymnos. The former is in far better shape than the latter. A man approached us in a small Greek harbour last week and asked if we thought that his westerley centaur was "up to the trip out here" He kept it in upper New York State!

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Optimists

Class association says there are 110,000 registered Oppies, although they suggest that Eastern Bloc countries have not registered theirs. The Class Assoc website says that they doubt if there are more Oppies than Lasers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
No one even close yet...

The world's largest production run for a cruising yacht (ie one with some sort of accommodation of whatever size) is the Catalina 22 (including Jaguar 22), which has sold over 15,000 up to now and is still counting because it is still in production as the Catalina 23.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

qsiv

Visit site
Re: Optimists

There are currently close to 180,000 Lasers around - but I wouldnt class them as a yacht in the accepted sense of the word.

As for Oppies (even less of a yacht!), if they have 140 000 in the class register there must be a truly vast number around outside the assoc. Not only did the Eastern bloc choose not to register most of the copies they built, but there are all sorts of 'oppie clones' used by sailing schools - there is truly ghastly plastic thing that weighs a ton, the French do something radically different in the form of their indestructible aluminium clones.

<hr width=100% size=1>