Large Sunflower Raft at anchor

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Great photo, lots of Brooms but i can see a token Fairline AC a P40, and a Sealine sc38
Cheers not my photo, one taken by committee drone. Yes a Fairline AC43 and a Broom 450 amongst many other assorted Brooms, and other makes including dutch steel. The largest vessel was 'Bona Spe' more like a small ship at 70ft long.

There was an amazing new 3 deck chinese built boat there designed by a UK naval architect, also 'Biggles' a beautiful 70ft fibre glass cruising barge with a wood burning stove on board for winter nights. 30 years ago a 35ft boat was considered large.

Whopper

Visit site
Cheers not my photo, one taken by committee drone. Yes a Fairline AC43 and a Broom 450 amongst many other assorted Brooms, and other makes including dutch steel. The largest vessel was 'Bona Spe' more like a small ship at 70ft long.

There was an amazing new 3 deck chinese built boat there designed by a UK naval architect, also 'Biggles' a beautiful 70ft fibre glass cruising barge with a wood burning stove on board for winter nights. 30 years ago a 35ft boat was considered large.

the Helmsman is a very impressive bit of kit. I think single engine boats with good access for maintenance are the way to go these days.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
the Helmsman is a very impressive bit of kit. I think single engine boats with good access for maintenance are the way to go these days.
Yes agree but I suspect we'll end up with sail sooner or later. I've found a few full beam aft cabin yachts with all electric winches back to the cockpit.

AndieMac

Visit site
Nice video OF, would it have been a better arrangement to have all the boats stern to the centre, maybe more social and easier to move around boat to boat with a dinghy?
Looks like a lot of fun, but you would need a good organiser to build the raft properly.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Possi
Nice video OF, would it have been a better arrangement to have all the boats stern to the centre, maybe more social and easier to move around boat to boat with a dinghy?
Looks like a lot of fun, but you would need a good organiser to build the raft properly.
Cheers Andie, yes possibly alright. There were more bows to windward for the anchors, notice vessels at the top of the photo were more stern in with their bows towards the wind, and visa versa at the bottom of the picture. There was a narrow access/escape channel on the bottom left of the picture which allowed tenders in and out, and ashore for dogs 4/5 times a day. This channel is visible at 1:30sec in the video. The raft was well set with alternating anchors so the whole thing could cope with unpredictable changes in weather over 24hrs or passing CBs.