Laminated tiller how-to?

Mudhook

Visit site
I have seen somewhere an article in PBO/YM/ST aboutmaking a curved, laminated woden tiller. Despite trawling through many of my magazines I am unable to turn this article up. Can anyone shet any light on it, or perhaps on where else I might find how to make a curved tiller arm?

Regards, Mudhook

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Take one sheet of ply.
Draw the outline of your desired shape
Make a series of nicks in a piece of 1" square beading so that you can bend it
Screw it down to the shape of your drawn profile
Get some big G clamps
Get some epoxy
Get your strips of wood
start to glue them to the bead, clamp them and leave until the epoxy has gone off -
repeating the process, build up to your desired thickness
remove clamps
plane or belt sand off the excess glue
profile your tiller with a spokeshave
sand it
varnish it
fit it
use it

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

l'escargot

Visit site
Found this on Google

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/b_hull_tips/b23.html>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/b_hull_tips/b23.html</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

It was a few years back ....

Where the guy had strips of different colour woods and he bent and glued to a profile..... built up to the thickness and then sanded / shaved off to a nice shape / finish.

If I remember right - he used a board with large nails as the profile guides ......

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

jeanne

Visit site
Claymores post is right, thats just how I made mine, but I can't help putting my oar in. The first move is to make a pattern: get a piece of easily bent tube or strip, and make a shape that is pleasing to the eye and, when clamped temporarily to the rudder head, puts the end of the tiller at the right height to socket into the little hollow in the small of the back which God [in her wisdom] put there for that purpose. Thus leaving the hands free for putting into hand-warmer pockets, or for holding a beer can, depending on the season. If the shape that you produce is very shapely, i.e curved, then it is worth thinking of using Ash for the job, as it is supple and straight grained, and so bends easily. It is not on the normal list of boaty woods, as it rots in contact with water, but in this case, if your tiller is in the water, you have more to worry about than your tiller going rotten.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
I couldn't agree more, but remember to add the following
1. use different coloured woods
2. Don't forget to allow for any autohelm fixing before you bend it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mudhook

Visit site
Re: It was a few years back ....

Thanks again folks. I think I've got enough to be going on with. The collective wisdom on this channel is a remarkable thing.
Regards, Mudhook

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
PBO December 1990

I have a grand total of 12 back-isssues of PBO in my stock and this just happened to be one of them !

If you would like to send me a pm with an e-mail address I could scan it for you.

But tomorrow I am heading back to the 'oul sod' and won't be back before one week. I was hoping to take in the Irish trouncing of England whilst there but as tickets on the web start at about £500 ....

John

<hr width=100% size=1>