Lake Windermere Info Please

honeybee

Visit site
Hi all,

Can any one tell me where is the best place/number to call to find out live weather reports on Lake Windermere ?

Also

Does anyone know the best place to launch and recover kayaks at both the top and the bottom end of the Lake ?

Thanks

Chris

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Amblside, is possibly the best place at the North end, though there will be many others suitable for kayaks.

South end, dam cant think of the town name. Anyway, on the East side, where the river begins, theres a sort of park, recon that would be a good spot. Also on the West side, just opposit Bowness, theres a nice park type place, in easy reach of the Islands. Think you might get charged a few quid though if the wardens catch you.

Theres a Windermere web cam some where.

deaks

Visit site
Hi Chris,
as I'm just about to start Kayaking on Windermere to enjoy the exercise I've located Fell Foot Park (Google for details) in the South and Waterhead slip in the North.
WatersEdge Pub is next to the slip and as a jetty but a tad too high for a Kayak!!
Something in life is Free! Yiphee and that's launching and Kayaking on Windermere. Though you do have to pay for car parking at both locations.
Check out Fell Foot as if your a member of the National Trust it may be free to park your car.
For weather I would check out the Met office Lake District site.
Though there are a few on YBW from the area with more local knowledge regards the strange wind patterns that might exist.

Also Ferry Nab roughly half way on the East Shore as a slip for free though the car park is mainly used for long stay and is £5 I think minimum. Located here is the Wardens office.

I should be on the Lake in the next few weeks.

Have fun
John

honeybee

Visit site
Guys,

Thanks for the reply, should have given you more info. As well as boating I do white water kayaking and we are currently organising a 3 Loch/lake challenge where we complete a full paddle from one end to the other of each lake/loch in England/Wales & Scotland in under 24 hours. Don't care about costs etc it all part and parcel of paddling outside Scotland. Just need access to and from the water.

Thanks so far

Chris

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Theres a beach and slipway at Amblside, car park, Pay and display, opposite. Should be dead easy. Well it was for us, when we took a speed boat on the back of a pickup /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Think were both talking about the same park, at the other end.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Doh!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well you stick them in at Amblside as said, cant get further North. Then go South till you come to the river, go down that to the park on your left, you might or might not get much further down, acording to conditions. Thers a nice hotel on the other bank, with moorings. Bit expencive, but could well enquire and maybe stay there. You might well get futher up/down the river, cant remember which way it flows.

deaks

Visit site
Hi Chris, in that case you don't want to cheat do you!
Fell Foot normally don't open their gates until 0900 so if you need an early start on Windermere?
Waterhead isn't a problem as it's on the side of the road inbetween the pub and a nice cafe.

Going back to the South end you might need to go to The Swan at Newby Bridge on the West side of the River Leven just after it leaves the lake (0.8mile )and ask if they minded you putting your Kayak in there.

I've not been to Lakeside just up from The Swan which is where the Lake ferry goes to/
I suppose it depends on how you decide where is the Start of the Lake and the Finish!!
And if this is all in 24hrs I guess you might be doing a bit of night navigation! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Good luck
John

itsonlymoney

Visit site
As others have said in the south all you have is.....
fell foot park (will have to pay for parking)
the swan at newby bridge (may have to pay)

in the north you have....
public car park at ambleside (will have to pay for parking)
low wood watersports centre (probably have to pay)

alternatively.....
rayrigg car park 1m north of bowness (will have to pay and a 200yd carry to lake)
west side of lake behind belle isle (free parking and right on lake)

also there is a free car park (little known) just south of wray castle west side of lake about 1m south of ambleside.

or my reccomendation
If you want to do the full length (plus a bit) of the lake and dont want to pay. Park and launch from the layby at "Skelwith bridge" north west of the lake. You got about 1/2 mile of river before getting to lake and if the water level is up a few small but fun rappids.

Having read your post again, if you want direct access to the lake and dont mind paying then as hlb said right at the begining the car park at ambleside is what you want.