Lack Of New Bilge Keelers Keeps Used Prices High...Maybe?

Seajet

Visit site
Have to say I wouldn't sleep to happily knowing my boat maybe banging up and down as the tide comes in but plenty let their boats do it so...

Zagato,

soft mud drying moorings are fine; indeed in my experience far preferable to deep water moorings...

For drying any boat of any keel configuration on a hard bottom like sand though I completely agree, horribly cruel !

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Trends, fashion and economics dictate a lot of things including demand for yacht keel configuration. Up to recently a lot of people had the spare cash to pay £3k ~£5k for marina fees. Yachts nowadays can not take the ground hence unable to use low cost tidal mooring or moorings suitable for low draft yachts.

At present its not "cool" to have a yacht with tween or bilge keels, the trend is to have fast yachts capable of going close to wind and keel configuration has a lot to do with this. However, there a lot of people who are willing to sacrifice sailing efficiency for the convenience and cost efficiency of a yacht that can utilise low coat moorings. The old tween and bilge keelers are still in great demand.

Seajet

Visit site
Yeah but you can get the keel jammed & maintenance is more of a problem?

Well my keel doesn't jam; largely I think because the ballast bulb is veed on top to fair in with the hull, so stones don't get trapped in the casing.

Maintenance is no problem, I have the boat craned on and off trestles ( I supply the trestle plans free in the case of the A22, they're easy to make ) - so the keel plate can be painted, same as twin keels are - the craning is just as any other boat.

The only problems with lift keel maintenance come when people leave boats on trailers every winter with the keel retracted, which I feel is frankly a sign of laziness and / or lack of imagination !

Visit site
Well the craning is just as any other boat.

With my previous boat I only had it hauled out the water in a yard once in the fifteen years I owned her & then only because I had a serious fault with the keels to repair.With my present boat I have no plans to ever have her hauled out the water if at all possible.
That's got to be a saving of at least a £1000 a year compared to what most people spend on their boats I reckon.

Seajet

Visit site
With my previous boat I only had it hauled out the water in a yard once in the fifteen years I owned her & then only because I had a serious fault with the keels to repair.With my present boat I have no plans to ever have her hauled out the water if at all possible.
That's got to be a saving of at least a £1000 a year compared to what most people spend on their boats I reckon.

Well I prefer to maintain her ashore every winter, but my costs are absolutely nowhere near £1,000 PA, I do have a Father from Aberdeen and a reputation to keep ! :)

Zagato

Visit site
Agree, give me Southerly any time.

Recently read an article about an 80 year old architect who bought a brand new 30+ foot Southerly as he can sail it single handed and it has a lifting keel to get himself up to Wareham. This thing is the price of a nice house and I laughed when he said it was ugly and he had a stripe painted down the side to try and improve it's looks. I used to do that with my old SAAB's when I was a teenager :rolleyes:

Good for him to keep sailing at his age. I was shocked when he said they take the channel marker buoys up during the winter... er that's not so good :eek:, glad I didn't find that out the hard way (I'm 3'6" draft so may not get up into Wareham anyway!)

Lakesailor

Visit site
The reason secondhand (Third, fourth, fifth, etc) bilge keelers are being offered at highish prices is the same as the rest of the used boat market. People are unrealistic and greedy.
A 20 or 30 year-old boat is getting into "everything needs replacing" territory and owners seem to think they can pass on their maintenance costs to the next owner

If nothing else (and there are other benefits) the current financial situation will bring some realism to the boating market. The simple truth is that lots of people who have boats are really stretching to be boatowners.
There isn't the market there was. Boats at the cheap end are difficult to sell, as has been mentioned, because the mooring and ongoing costs have become burdensome. It may be that trailer-sailers become popular again.

CoVianna

Visit site
You only need to keep an eye on ApolloDuck to see the same bilge keel (and other smallish) yachts cropping up time after time. Some are slowly bringing their price down, some are not. As lake sailor says "People are unrealistic". But each to their own sales strategy.

Zagato

Visit site
Talking to someone yesterday who suggested it maybe more of an accountants move e.g. he said something like "they could keep the yard and one name and sell off the other name, to gain instant cash whilst still operating". I don't know Northshores set up but got the gist of it...

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Zagato,

soft mud drying moorings are fine; indeed in my experience far preferable to deep water moorings...

For drying any boat of any keel configuration on a hard bottom like sand though I completely agree, horribly cruel !

Well, that depends on the relative shelter doesn't it? I use a lot of drying harbours round N Wales (10+m tides) and the best ones are as smooth as glass when the boat settles & rises, usually due to sandbanks across the entrance. I quite often sleep thro overnight groundings & lifts & even in daytime I have to try rocking her to see if she has settled or not.