Knysna cats

markiobe

Visit site
Hi Everybody, we are a couple who are planning to buy a catamaran to liveaboard from summer/autumn 2021.
We'll buy 2nd hand and I like the look of Knysna, however the 500 will be too big and out of budget so I'm looking at the older 440 or 480. Does anybody have any stories to tell, good or bad?
Thanks in advance ??

Bajansailor

Visit site
What do you find particularly appealing about Knysna cats?
There are so many different types of sailing catamarans available nowadays, with a huge second hand market.
Try doing an advanced search on www.yachtworld.co.uk for a sailing catamaran - you can specify size, age, location and price range - and see what 'comes up'.
You don't want to be too fussy, insisting on a particular type - compare the merits and disadvantages of the ones that come up in your search, and you might find something that is more appealing than a Knysna cat seen previously.

Stingo

Visit site
I've sailed on a 44. It was fast - 280nm in 24 hours! But I have to question the build quality - that trip was a delivery back to the factory to get the keels rebuilt. The design of the 44 is circa 1990, so utilisation of space is not as good as current/later designs. Galley down is unsociable and cooking heats up that hull like you can't believe - even when making a cuppa. The bridgedeck clearance is also very low, so it slams like buggery, even when going downwind.

If it was my choice, I'd prefer a Robertson & Caine Leopard of similar size and age.