know what's good about

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Know what's good about Greece I just came out of a tavern and met a bunch of Greek lads (16 -18 ) each said yassas / hello mister .Where in England could you walk freely and safely through a group of 20 young men and not be concerned at 11:30 pm on a Sataday night.?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Know what's good about Greece I just came out of a tavern and met a bunch of Greek lads (16 -18 ) each said yassas / hello mister .Where in England could you walk freely and safely through a group of 20 young men and not be concerned at 11:30 pm on a Sataday night.?
Was that after they mug you :)
Only joking .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Another thing I like very much is that parents take their kids out to the playground in the evening, sit and chat with other parents while kids play together on their bikes/scooters/swings. Family life unlike we see now in UK.

charles_reed

Visit site
Another thing I like very much is that parents take their kids out to the playground in the evening, sit and chat with other parents while kids play together on their bikes/scooters/swings. Family life unlike we see now in UK.

More than just family life - community life is alive and vibrant in the rural majority which is Greece.

I think it's more the downside of urbanisation, to which rtboss refers rather than the difference between UK or any European country.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
More than just family life - community life is alive and vibrant in the rural majority which is Greece.

There is a new construction alongside the harbour in Moudhros, Limnos. Jill found out this morning that it is an open-air theatre. There is also one alongside the marina in Mytilini.

The weather does help. The only time we went to the Minack theatre in Cornwall the lights fused due to rain and the show was called off.

RupertW

Visit site
Most places in my experience... are you a Daily Mail reader?? :D :D

+1 I can't think of many places where I would be concerned just because they were young and in a group late at night. Different if there was some kind of argument or fight going on but that's pretty rare.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
+1 I can't think of many places where I would be concerned just because they were young and in a group late at night. Different if there was some kind of argument or fight going on but that's pretty rare.

Having been brought up in Tiger bay Cardiff in the seventies, then run a successful business in the Repro game in the East end of London with outlets in Birmingham .Manchester ,Liverpool and Aberdeen. Then bought a service company for offshore oil workers,I have just realised that I am a 6 2" 16 stone coward with a nervous disposition.

Last edited:

ostra4

Visit site
My grandson is 8 this year , he has spent the last few years summer holidays with us- his grandparents in Greece, the locals accept him playing football, love the fact he loves fishing,love the fact he has some Greek .For 99% of the time it is such a pleasure being here and especially with childeren .Hes been invited swimming with Greek families and into their homes , makes us feel part of things for the six months we are here ,I see the younger Greeks continuing with their mostly hospitable attitude towards us as tourists and even the PP seem more relaxed this year...long may it continue .

RupertW

Visit site
Having been brought up in Tiger bay Cardiff in the seventies, then run a successful business in the Repro game in the East end of London with outlets in Birmingham .Manchester ,Liverpool and Aberdeen. Then bought a service company for offshore oil workers,I have just realised that I am a 6 2" 16 stone coward with a nervous disposition.

Then you have the disadvantage of being a possible threat - as a slight 5 6" and now middle aged man I don't think they even see me , but anyway most youth groups seem to be having the same kind of rowdy but insular banter that I remember at that age.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Then you have the disadvantage of being a possible threat - as a slight 5 6" and now middle aged man I don't think they even see me , but anyway most youth groups seem to be having the same kind of rowdy but insular banter that I remember at that age.

...and I think that is the heart of it - as you get older the more you forget what you were like at their age... nothing has fundamentally changed except your perception/age.. :)