kiwi grip or not ?

Hoist

Visit site
Looking to repaint the deck of our race boat. Its currently a creamy which is rapidly turning grey black colour.

Its looking tired and the cockpit is deadly slick in the wet

Been told to go with kiwi grip but also been told its a real oilskin killer!

I'm also not so convinced by the extreme texture of kiwi grip, to me it doesn't look great

Whats the alternatives and what do you swear by for your deck?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Used Kiwi Grip on our Steel Hartley 32.

Exceptional grip with the feet.

Which, surely, is the important bit.

I did Kiwi Grip panels on the cockpit seats, not full cover.

You must make the balance yourself, a safe boat underfoot that might wear out oilies or another non slip.

Kiwi Grip is so easy to apply, IMHO it must be the front runner to smarten your boat up and to give safe footing.

Minerva

Visit site
Apropos of nothing; but on one of the latest Sailing Uma YouTube videos they were pointing out their Kiwi Grip failed in Svalbard with ice damage and shows big swathes lifting off the deck.

I don’t know if that’s a one off, bad prep or what not, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else in Northern waters has suffered a similar fate.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I used an ordinary foam roller to apply, the one Kiwigrip recommend was too course IMO.
Looked good after application but over three years it has worn away in places.
My advice is to apply at least two coats. I used cream, but if I did it again I would use a darker colour.
IMG_20180823_182522147.jpg

Ceirwan

Visit site
Have used Kiwi-Grip, probably would not again.

It can look very 'DIY', some people manage to get it looking very good, but it does require skill to apply and achieve the proper effect. As for too coarse, I would say it entirely depends on how it is applied.
Its a single part paint, so longevity and adhesion will never be as good as the 2 part polyurethanes.

But is 'best' is a personal matter, depends on your budget, skill level, and what finish you will put up with.

The hardest wearing & (IMO) most professional non skid surface comes from using a 2 pack paint. (either mega expensive yacht ones, or more affordable but still fantastic ones like Jotun)

You roll on your first coat of paint, and after that you shake non skid particles over it so they settle in the still wet paint layer.
Once dry, you then brush or vacuum off the loose particles.
Then seal with two more coats of paint.

If you look on YoutTube, boatworks today has some great videos on how to do it.
I just redid the aft cover for my cockpit & it came out very nicely. The paint I used was Jotun Hardtop HB which is a satin two component paint.
The particles were Awlgrip griptex, a mixture of fine and course.

Attachments

• 20230218_082705.jpg
    20230218_082705.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230218_082711.jpg
    20230218_082711.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

geem

Visit site

It can look very 'DIY', some people manage to get it looking very good, but it does require skill to apply and achieve the proper effect. As for too course, I would say it entirely depends on how it is applied.
Its a single part paint, so longevity and adhesion will never be as good as the 2 part polyurethanes.

But is 'best' is a personal matter, depends on your budget, skill level, and what finish you will put up with.

The hardest wearing & (IMO) most professional non skid surface comes from using a 2 pack paint. (either mega expensive yacht ones, or more affordable but still fantastic ones like Jotun)

You roll on your first coat of paint, and after that you shake non skid particles over it so they settle in the still wet paint layer.

I just redid the aft cover for my cockpit & it came out very nicely. The paint I used was Jotun Hardtop HB which is a satin two component paint.
We did exactly this with Awlgrip using their none slip additive. Expensive but durable and good looking

jwilson

Visit site
In the days of a wooden boat it was a good thick coat of gloss paint, then when wet sprinkle fine budgie cage sand over, then later another thinner coat of paint. Excellent non-slip which was probably important as the boat had no guardwires and I often singlehanded.

Kelpie

Visit site

It can look very 'DIY', some people manage to get it looking very good, but it does require skill to apply and achieve the proper effect. As for too coarse, I would say it entirely depends on how it is applied.

Interesting. I'm thinking of adding some non slip inside my dinghy, which is painted with International Perfection.
Do you find it holds dirt?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site

I take your points, and as I am fond of the truism 'true knowledge is the product of direct experience' and use it often, I take your report seriously.

My experience is good with Kiwi Grip. The 14 shaped and sized Kiwi Grip panels I applied six years ago on the deck and in the cockpit were done with good masking tape and were rectangles and triangles, following the shape of the boat. I allowed the Kiwi Grip to harden a little before using the roller for texture.

They were just starting to get a little 'Edgy' three years ago, so I redid them. Covid then hit, we were repatriated from NZ and only got back to the boat in January this year. Apart from an acidic stain from seagull shit on one panel, all was fine.

Boat now sold, new owner assures us he is delighted with his purchase. Especially the non slip panels in Grey Kiwi Grip, contrasting with the white of the flush deck and cockpit.

UV damage was apparent on the flush deck white paint, it was cracked and lifting in a few spots, the Kiwi Grip was fine.

Sun damage is very high in NZ, it has an aggressive climate towards paint. It was a Hartley 32 in Steel, so a painted, not gelcoat finish.

Ceirwan

Visit site
Interesting. I'm thinking of adding some non slip inside my dinghy, which is painted with International Perfection.
Do you find it holds dirt?

Not particularly, all non skid surfaces will hold dirt to an extent, even the gelcoat ones, but it cleans very easily and is hard wearing.
The particles are not deep enough to form any crevices in which you can't clean the dirt from.

I used Hardtop HB because its a satin paint & very hardwearing, if International do a matt additive I would use that to reduce the glare from the deck.

I did a small test panel first to practice the technique, I used one of those concave ended rollers to avoid leaving tram lines in the paint.
Overall very happy with it.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Jotun 2 pack with non skid is very good value.
You want it satin not gloss.

As with kiwi grip though , practise practise with the right mini rollers.

One of the good things with kiwi grip is it offers a non reflective finish.
I have used a mattening ( dulling) agent in single pack deck paint but haven’t found the equivalent for 2 pack - anyone?

Hoist

Visit site
4 litres of Kiwi grip ordered

Ill be going for the ordinary roller as suggested on the rail area and helm position and do the high risk areas, cock pit floor and foredeck with the rough roller...

Ive also asked for 8 helpers to do the masking after all its their feet that will be slipping!

Bob_Ranft

Visit site
Did decks of 37 ft catamaran with Sanderson Textured water-based masonry paint (light grey) ten years ago. Just starting to go now. Cheap as chips compared to commercial products. Based on same basic water based polymer as Kiwi Grip. Same or similar available from Dulux or B&Q. Needs to be the textured version, not the smooth. Many outlets will mix exact colour shade required. Applied two coats over the molded in anti-slip pattern, pattern still showed through the paint, which made finished result look professional. Anti-slip properties of the paint have been perfect over the last ten years. Will start to apply same as soon as weather breaks.

Stemar

Visit site
I used this on Jissel.

Worked well, just a couple of small corners flaked off after a few years, probably due to inadequate preparation, and £30 a litre instead of nearly double that for Kiwigrip

The beige is a much sunnier colour than it appears in the image. I liked it, Madame didn't so much.

Bob_Ranft

Visit site
Further bit of info. Just used a normal paint roller (as per roller for interior emulsion paint) then applied first coat. Left this to dry for about one hour, then applied second coat. Trick is to apply two thin coats, if applied too thick, does not look so good. Also, paint rollers spit, you must go round adjacent areas with a wet cloth to clean off any bits sprayed off before it dries. Very easy to do, after both coats, as the paint is water based.

Kelpie

Visit site
I used this on Jissel.

Worked well, just a couple of small corners flaked off after a few years, probably due to inadequate preparation, and £30 a litre instead of nearly double that for Kiwigrip

The beige is a much sunnier colour than it appears in the image. I liked it, Madame didn't so much.
Your link is for an all terrain wheelchair...

lustyd

Visit site
I don’t know if that’s a one off, bad prep or what not, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else in Northern waters has suffered a similar fate.
We saw them prep it in a previous video and they were pretty thorough so I don't think prep was the issue. It did last 5-6 years to be fair, and is easy to touch up but personally I'd never paint a deck again, I prefer slightly dirty to constant maintenance. Also, buy better deck shoes!

Aja

Visit site
Did decks of 37 ft catamaran with Sanderson Textured water-based masonry paint (light grey) ten years ago. Just starting to go now. Cheap as chips compared to commercial products. Based on same basic water based polymer as Kiwi Grip. Same or similar available from Dulux or B&Q. Needs to be the textured version, not the smooth. Many outlets will mix exact colour shade required. Applied two coats over the molded in anti-slip pattern, pattern still showed through the paint, which made finished result look professional. Anti-slip properties of the paint have been perfect over the last ten years. Will start to apply same as soon as weather breaks.

"Many outlets will mix exact colour shade required."

How did you get your deck to the shop?