kite halyards connection

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
Just washing my kite halyards and removed the heavy duty gibb shackles which are luggage label fixed to the tapered core.

Seems some boats are using soft shackles instead, ( I use them elsewhere whenever possible) but how important is the shackle swivel in the scheme of things?

K

Foolish Muse

Visit site
My experience is that swivel shackles are very important. I have watched when my hourglass spinnaker unwraps from the top. I may be wrong on this, but I believe that sometimes, when you are putting a lot of tension on your halyard, it seems to spin on its own. The swivel shackle allows it to unwind.

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
My experience is that swivel shackles are very important. I have watched when my hourglass spinnaker unwraps from the top. I may be wrong on this, but I believe that sometimes, when you are putting a lot of tension on your halyard, it seems to spin on its own. The swivel shackle allows it to unwind.

of course we never get a twist when racing......
yes thats what I was wondering about.

Boo2

Visit site
very common way of making non permanent connection to premade eyesplice lines, easily removed even after subject to heavy tension.

But a cow hitch in the spliced-loop end of a line can only be removed by unthreading the entire line, surely ? Isn't it easier just to cut a knot off and remake ?

Boo2

flaming

Visit site
But a cow hitch in the spliced-loop end of a line can only be removed by unthreading the entire line, surely ? Isn't it easier just to cut a knot off and remake ?

Boo2

Not if you can slide the thing you’re cow hitching to out. Like a shackle for example.

knuterikt

Visit site

Boo2
Knots and dyneema is a bad combination and you don’t loose length every time you take it apart.