Kingfisher #8

tcm

Visit site
as usual, the raw transmission as below, which was sent from the southern ocean earlier this morning has been completley rewritten and put up on the websites as <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20030125131029ywkingfisherandrew.html>http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20030125131029ywkingfisherandrew.html</A>

"Unfortunately, someone told Ellen about my marking off the days with notches on the mast and I’ve had to lie very low for a while (again) while things cooled down, hence my lack of reporting. As my daughter might say sometime when we all go sailing sometime "My bum - it wet". However, I have today been allowed out provided that I don’t go near the helm, and only use the cheaper computers.

The loss of the record isn’t all bad news. At least nobody’s hurt, and of course now we only have to last 2 weeks to Fremantle instead of perhaps 6 weeks in the freezing cold which means - loads of food! Hurrah! And whilst everyone else seems to a bit down in the dumps, I can have even more than triple rations. Add to this the new course towards the warmer equatorial climes, and it’s actually turning into a very nice trip indeed.

Our progress is now much slower, and we have to find ways to amuse ourselves. This can be quite fun. I spun out a shaggy dog story for over two hours during a night watch, and then gazed at the clear southern sky - although they don’t seem to have much of a grasp of the basics. Neale asked if I could see “Pisces” as he pointed upwards, but he can’t catch me out with his “pie” gags again – even I know that they’re called “stars”.

Now, of course, we can’t have a miserable crew for two whole weeks, so it’s high time to improve morale by concentrating on other things. Such as for example, the fact that we’re avoiding the congestion charge in central London by being here, rather than in Kings Reach Tower. But apparently this doesn’t affect anyone except me.

Crew talk has turned to future sailing challenges. Yet, as I pointed out, this needn’t wait until another Kingfisher challenge is ready, need it? Of course not. We’re record breakers already, aren’t we? I hoped that they’d brighten up a bit when I explained that we could already claim records for “Most amount of money spent in getting somewhere fairly near the Antarctic in a catamaran” or even “Fastest Ushant-to-Fremantle starting without an engine and finishing without a mast”.

Ellen didn’t think these were worth claiming, but at least her finger seems a lot better judging by the way in which she poked me in the eye and stomped off back down below. But I have cheered myself up with another microwave dinner, my third this evening.

What a difference a pie makes!

Preecy

jimi

Visit site
Re: What to do with Kingfisher II

Could'nt they do Sydney to Sydney via the North West Passage? Scare the shit out of the wee guy in the McGregor they would ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Re: You\'d need a shed load of huskies

No huskis required .. a boat like that would scream across the ice under sail .. does the water need to be liquid or is solid water allowed ?

<hr width=100% size=1>