Kevan Whittle RIP

Pasarell

Visit site
Many of you who have been to Lefkas will have known Kevan. Based in Lefkas Marina and a renowned yacht surveyor he met many who passed this way. Always free with a friendly word of advice from his vast experience he was liked and respected by all he met.
Sadly Kevan passed away on 16th June leaving his wife Linda here and his son Richard in the UK. He had suffered from heart problems for many years and had a relapse a couple of weeks earlier. He was out of hospital for a week, just long enough to celebrate Linda's birthday, when he was suddenly taken.
Son Richard and brother Ian arrived in Lefkas yesterday in time for Kevan to take his final journey tomorrow for his ashes to be scattered on warm waters as he wished.
At 1630 Greek time tomorrow (1430 UK time), Tuesday 21st July, his son Richard will propose a toast to Kevan. If you knew Kevan please raise a glass with a smile to remember a special man.

RIP Kev

Bradders

Visit site
Kevan also did the survey on my boat and he allowed me to accompany him in the hope I could learn about the boat, the lessons I learned have been invaluable to me ! he took the time to explain what he was doing and what to look for in the future, it was like having your own personal tutor - an absolute gentleman, RIP Kevan

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Kevan also did the survey on my boat and he allowed me to accompany him in the hope I could learn about the boat, the lessons I learned have been invaluable to me ! he took the time to explain what he was doing and what to look for in the future, it was like having your own personal tutor - an absolute gentleman, RIP Kevan

Us too. That boat took us from Preveza to New Zealand, thank you Kevan you were one of the good guys; our glasses will be raised.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
Many of you who have been to Lefkas will have known Kevan. Based in Lefkas Marina and a renowned yacht surveyor he met many who passed this way. Always free with a friendly word of advice from his vast experience he was liked and respected by all he met.
Sadly Kevan passed away on 16th June leaving his wife Linda here and his son Richard in the UK. He had suffered from heart problems for many years and had a relapse a couple of weeks earlier. He was out of hospital for a week, just long enough to celebrate Linda's birthday, when he was suddenly taken.
Son Richard and brother Ian arrived in Lefkas yesterday in time for Kevan to take his final journey tomorrow for his ashes to be scattered on warm waters as he wished.
At 1630 Greek time tomorrow (1430 UK time), Tuesday 21st July, his son Richard will propose a toast to Kevan. If you knew Kevan please raise a glass with a smile to remember a special man.

RIP Kev
Like others here, I was the beneficiary of Kevin's many skills (including surveying) and the friendship of Kevin and Linda during our years spent in Lefkas Marina and The Porto Cafe - which both he and Linda graced - was our home from home. Lovely people

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I knew Kevin very well , we had many a beer in the Porto bar , really sad to hear this news , he was really a good guy and happy to give free advise to anyone who needed it , RIP Kevan .

OldBawley

Visit site
Sorry for the family and friends, I did not know Kevin, He rest in peace.

Short question, Is it now possible to be cremated in Greece?

When I asked 2 years ago, I was told you had to be living in a house in Greece for 5 years to be able to be buried in Greece. Cremation was not possible at all.

Pasarell

Visit site
There is a crematorium in Athens. Not been despite 2 friends passing away this year as it is an "industrial" operation. Undertakers for Kevan suggested nobody went down there. He left Lefkas on Friday morning and his ashes were back first thing Saturday. I believe it's for foreigners only

OldBawley

Visit site
So there is a working crematorium in Greece now. Good news.

Why I ask this:

If a sailor dies, before he had to be transported by plane to the country he was registered in. After that the normal procedure. The transport of the corpse is extremely expensive. I heard numbers of 10.000 pounds.

Now, he can be cremated in Athens, that will not be free but not 10.000 pounds and the ashes can be whatever. Taken home to the “ home ??? “ country or as with Mr Kevan scattered on warm waters .

For me, I don´t give a dime, apres nous, la déluge. But my son is worried. He thinks he will have to pay for it all. And he is like me, he can count.

yanay

Visit site
Very sad to hear. Kevan surveyed my first boat in Lefkada, which was an identical model to his own boat. He did an amazing job, was super friendly and a pleasure to be with. I will remember him with great appreciation forever

ChrissyW

Visit site
RIP Cousin Kevan :cry: Only just found out through this page coming up from a Google search. None of us were great at keeping in touch since we were kids, but I'm so glad we had the chance to spend time together when you visited Cyprus, and when we met up with you again to go sailing around the Greek Islands. Fun times and very happy memories indeed! Best wishes to Linda, Richard and Cousin Ian. xxx