Kestrel 22

Marco-Polo

Visit site
The seacocks, amongst other things, are on the list of things to change. The plan is to have her lifted out at Weymouth onto a trailer and pressure washed, check all the seacocks, check for osmosis and inspect the keel buffers. Assuming all is good it will then be driven up to Shoreham to the marina and chucked in. Once the seaworthiness issues are resolved she will be sailed. I'm hoping to meet Vern this week to go over all this.

Do not touch the seacocks ! They were made of real DZR-Bronze in old times and mine worked for more than 44 years. In the toilet you have an original Blake seacock, a real one, which will withstand corrosion for a very long time (mine is now 44 years in service).
The one in the engine room (colling water), if regulary opened and shut will also made no trouble. Last year I had to change the water-inlet cock of my Kestrell due to a leaking stuffing box (this cannot be repaired). When I took it of, there was no sign of any kind of corrosion inside the valve itself.
Be careful while changing the seacocks, you'll never get again such good quality bronze !!

Pauly

Visit site
Unfortunately Eric, most of them have been changed in the past. The two on the toilet are original and still working, but the rest were replacements and in need of changing. I still have the original engine one with the filter and it may be repairable. And you are right, to buy such good quality today would cost a lot.

I've just read your previous post. The keel bolts are stainless steel and look to have been changed recently and there are no signs of water ingress.

The deck at the mast foot has ply wood plates inside and out and bolted through. It all seems fairly solid but I will change the plywood next winter when she is back out of the water.

The general condition of the GRP seems quite good apart from some bumps and scrapes, with no obvious signs of osmosis.

The boat seems sound and solid, just a bit scruffy.

Last edited:

Marco-Polo

Visit site
Unfortunately Eric, most of them have been changed in the past. The two on the toilet are original and still working, but the rest were replacements and in need of changing. I still have the original engine one with the filter and it may be repairable. And you are right, to buy such good quality today would cost a lot.

I've just read your previous post. The keel bolts are stainless steel and look to have been changed recently and there are no signs of water ingress.

The deck at the mast foot has ply wood plates inside and out and bolted through. It all seems fairly solid but I will change the plywood next winter when she is back out of the water.

The general condition of the GRP seems quite good apart from some bumps and scrapes, with no obvious signs of osmosis.

The boat seems sound and solid, just a bit scruffy.

You still have the old VIRE 6BVR on board ?
As soon as I'm back from the boat, I'll send you a photo of my Mastfoot. Verify if the added plywood is supported also by the main bulkhead.

capella

Visit site
A friend of mine has a GRP one at Fareham, Hants missing a keel, as it is stuck in the mud beneath the boat accessible at low tide needs a good home offers. I have a wooden kestrel 22 currently out of the water awaiting its spring renovation. Great little boat inboard diesel Yanmar 1 gm.

Pauly

Visit site
You still have the old VIRE 6BVR on board ?
As soon as I'm back from the boat, I'll send you a photo of my Mastfoot. Verify if the added plywood is supported also by the main bulkhead.

I'm not sure what model the engine is, no doubt it is the original. The 2 bulkheads are still fitted but, from memory, I think the plywood plate is between them. I'll have to look at the weekend to make sure. It all seems stable enough.

Pauly

Visit site
A friend of mine has a GRP one at Fareham, Hants missing a keel, as it is stuck in the mud beneath the boat accessible at low tide needs a good home offers. I have a wooden kestrel 22 currently out of the water awaiting its spring renovation. Great little boat inboard diesel Yanmar 1 gm.

Sounds tempting, but I think one fixer upper is enough for me.

I'm going to attempt to set up a webpage for Kestrel owners, perhaps with the help of other interested parties. If you are interested, perhaps you could PM me some details and eventually any pics of the boats. Maybe then we can put some of these neglected boats in the hands of people who want to get them sorted.