Kerry mk.2 27ft.

searover

Visit site
Hi is there any other owners out there with a Kerry mk. 1 or 2 as i am in need of some info, i would like to ask a couple of questions, im sure there must be a few in ireland, mine was built Obrian Kennerdy boat yard leitrim ...in antisipation

<hr width=100% size=1>

searover

Visit site
Hi i was hoping to get reply from an owner, but never mind i wanted to know if anyone had a drawing of the rudder with internals and also if possible drawing of deadwood, anyhow what did you think of her, was she a good sailing boat? Regards Roy...

pathfinder

Visit site
Don't have an actual drawing of the rudder as such but i did remove mine to replace the lower pin which had corroded considerably.The tangs were on the outside and welded to the stock all made of bronze its possible to remove the rudder by un doing the bolts that pass thru these tangs and digging out the filler that surrounds it and pull the rudder off.Alternatively you could remove the lower shoe take off the tiller and let the whole assembly drop out but this means lifting the boat.There is a hollow space inside which had water in it.When i replaced the rudder i drilled a 1/2'' hole in this area and filled with resin it took about a litre.I found her to be a good sea boat she can be a bit tender at first and the helm can get heavy, maneuvering under engine isn't bad for long keeler. I loved the traditional look but found space below decks cramped(i'm 6ft2'').If i can be of further assistance let me know.
best of luck.
pat.

searover

Visit site
Hi Pat thanks for answering last mail, interesting on the rudder sounds quite straight forward, but can yiu tell me also pat at the stern end of deadwood was your boat hollow there or was it solid, i mean was it filled with foem type material.only i was thinking , cos if you look at how the deadwood is conected to the hull, it looks as if there is only those line of stainless bolts along each side that hold it on..? and i was also thinking that if one of those bolts was to leak expecialy the ones out of site at the rear end under the stern tube will i be in trouble ..... i think ill buy a life raft .... no seriousely Pat i am very pleased with her sailing handles well but i have not yet been in a blow in her so i dont know how she would handle but i think she would make a good account of herselfe. the idea will be to reef early i think .. I dont suppose you know what she is worth in good conditoin over there do you Pat. would be interesting to hear , anyway thanks again and happy new year if you e.mail me your e.mail adress i will send you a photo Regards Roy

pathfinder

Visit site
hi roy,

I'm not sure if that section is hollow or not, it may be sealed below the bolts so might not take in water if one of them leaks. You could glass over them maybe if your having doubts.As regards value, for a boat in good condition with a healthy diesel would probaly go for around 14,500 euro,although i remember seeing two advertised in the uk for 14,000 sterling about 3yrs ago.

regards
pat.

searover

Visit site
Hi Pat thanks for the reply yes it will be a good idea to glass over bolts , save a lot of worying , anyhow shes been afloat now for thirty years so i dont suppose , another couple of years wont hurt, anyway im wondering why you got rid of her was it just cos you were cramoed or something else ... was there many built? do you know, or only limited number, sory to be a pain Pat. happt xmas Roy

pathfinder

Visit site
Hi roy,
been away from the pc for a few days hence the late reply.As far as i know there was around 45 of these boats built there may be a number on the hull or the mainsail.I sold her mainly because i wanted to move up to a bigger boat and yes she was cramped compared to modern standards but a good boat,i have fond memories of her,the boat i had before was a leisure 17 so the kerry was a big step up at the time.
regards,
pat.