Keeping warm on the East Coast of the UK

Yngmar

Visit site
What's the sea temperature there now? We've done okay in UK winters (although not as cold ones) with heating on electricity, although once repaired, the diesel heater sure reduced our costs, as the marina was charging per kWh.

Condensation was an issue, even with a dehumidifier running 24/7, as the hull was not insulated below the waterline, so we had a constantly moist hull below the waterline once the sea had turned cooler in late winter. Especially in the aft cabin underseat lockers. Ended up glueing in some camping foam mattress there, which helped a lot.

Also condensation on the hatches, but some clingfilm over the inner frame created an air gap and stopped that problem. Tried bubblewrap first, but that didn't work as well and kept falling off.

SailSouth

Www.solentboatbutler.co.uk
This is the worst winter we have had on board so far. Some thoughts on heating etc

https://mariadz.com/2018/03/02/the-beast-from-the-east/

I enjoyed the bit about balancing the power use so it doesn't trip out. Since my new Planar heater died just in time for the recent spell of cold weather I have been relying on a single 16A hook-up and lots of layers. The heated blanket is a god-send!

Last night I made a second supply cable as there is a spare socket on the pontoon so I now have that as a separate feed on to the boat.

Roll on spring....

derekbland

Visit site
I saw some mini-oil-filled radiators in Dunelm Mill a few days ago at £25 each. They had the thermostats just like the larger ones but I would like to know if they are considered economic.