keeping spare VHF fixed set?

ChattingLil

Visit site
We had a Navico RT6500S vhf radio & mike, and have just replaced it with a bog standard DSC set.
We have two good handhelds. For the foreseeable future we will not be doing anything other than coastal or channel sailing.
Would you bother keeping the antique set for a spare? or jut bin it?

VicS

Visit site
We had a Navico RT6500S vhf radio & mike, and have just replaced it with a bog standard DSC set.
We have two good handhelds. For the foreseeable future we will not be doing anything other than coastal or channel sailing.
Would you bother keeping the antique set for a spare? or jut bin it?

Keep it and you will never need it.

Bin it or eBay it and you'll need it.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
ebay it, if you need it you can aways buy one off ebay!

I had this very conversation with someone who hoards almost as much as my family. My reasoning was that we keep everything 'just in case' but then when we need something we can't find it burried amongst everything else and have to buy a new one. What we should do is sell everything on ebay and then buy what we need back. That way ebay acts as a cataloged storage device and we have nice clear sheds to fill with other stuff!

Carmel2

Visit site
I had this very conversation with someone who hoards almost as much as my family. My reasoning was that we keep everything 'just in case' but then when we need something we can't find it burried amongst everything else and have to buy a new one. What we should do is sell everything on ebay and then buy what we need back. That way ebay acts as a cataloged storage device and we have nice clear sheds to fill with other stuff!

You, sir, are a genius!

Having a clear out one day in Barcelona, my neighbour lay down a challenge: who finds the most useless thing wins a beer. I came up with a radiator bleed key, he, an A To Z of Southampton, a town he had never visited in his life. It was declared a draw---------------I think.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I know somebody with five sheds!

prv

Visit site
What we should do is sell everything on ebay and then buy what we need back. That way ebay acts as a cataloged storage device

The problem is, it's quite an expensive storage device - both in financial terms (fees, postage costs, difference in selling vs buying prices) and more significantly in effort (packing and posting things) and time (waiting for the widget you suddenly needed to arrive).

I certainly don't find it worth my time to sell the sort of junk that builds up in my sheds.

Pete

prv

Visit site

I see such a person every time I look in the mirror :p

Number one shed: Workshop (including storage for tools and materials).
Number two shed: Main storage shed, mostly full of boat stuff.
Number three shed: Garden shed - lawnmower, strimmer, spades, loppers, rakes, etc.
Number four shed: Lean-to on the front wall of the house, originally built as a bike shed but now holds road salt and car stuff like trolley jack, axle stands, oil-change pan, etc. Sometimes gets left unlocked for couriers to leave parcels in.
Number five shed: Specially constructed to hold out-of-season bits of the car - I swap both tyres and roof between summer and winter. Also has room for the generator and the big polystyrene coolbox I use as an auxiliary fridge when making Russian food.

Not bad for a 3-bed end-of-terrace with no access to the back except through the house :)

Pete

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Amateurs! We have more than 8, give or take (at out home property, more elsewhere), and most of them are full. They are not small either, one of them was large enough to store my 28' boat in with full keel et al. In one of our sheds we have a dyson vacuum cleaner that was from the first run (no 56 or summat) and specially imported from Japan. It is accompanied by a letter from James Dyson giving thanks for the support, never been used! We also have at least 2 blacksmith bellows which are at least 7 feet long. We need help!

I am building a new shed which is destined to be a fully functional workshop.