Kedge anchor selection

Peter

Visit site
A couple of question on selecting kedge anchors. How do you size up a kedge anchor, do base it on boat size/weight using the “standard” anchor selection tables or by some other method. What is the best type of kedge anchor? I’ve mostly seen danforths or there equivalents more than a plough type anchor. Lastly any thoughts on the type of rode, all rope. rope/chain or all chain.
Appreciate any thought on selecting a kedge anchor. If any use, my yacht is 12.5m long and 12te in weight.

Thanks Peter

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
I wouldn't go too small. The lists for anchor size size versus boat size are all on the very small end in my opinion. For the bow anchor I went two sizes up (110lb Bruce) and for the kedge I took a 50lb CQR. The bruce is fabulous, but the CQR has let me down several times, which can be quite embarrasing in a narrow harbour. Despite the fact that the CQR kedge anchor is on all chain rode and its private windlass, I had a lot more sucess with a 30lb Aluminum Frotress on mainly rope. This Fortress is really great and has worked where I couldn't get the CQR to set. I think one problem is that one uses the kedge very often in harbours where the bottom is very thin stuff. Go for a thing that has more surface, like a Danforth or Fortress. I love the fortress, except for one problem: In a strong current it floats!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Ho Hum, how long is that piece of string?

What do you want your kedge to do? If it is only ever likely to be a lunch hook, one set of parameters apply. If you'll want it to pull yourself off the putty, then another set need to be considered. Do you want it to back up your bower? Do you want it to anchor fore and aft. Should it be the anchor of last resort, when all around strong men are weeping and fiberglass is chewing rock?

How many kedges do you have room to carry? Once considered a boat that had a CQR on the front, a fisherman folded across the stern deck, and a Danforth and a Bruce in the cockpit lockers. And once, on a bareboat, I broke the CQR, and was very pleased there was a great big Danforth handy.

I think there is no universal answer to your question. Whatever you do will be the wrong choice sooner or later. But whatever you do do, make sure there's at least 10 metres of chain and the business end, before the warp begins. It'll aid setting enormously, and prevent some bottom chafe (pass the nappy rash cream).

chippie

Visit site
I think there is a case for the kedge to be of a different type from the bower.
I have a danforth as my main option as my local cruising grounds are largely over a sandy bottom, the other is a plough. Plenty of chain is always a good rule,as a diver friend said he always checks his anchor when diving and has been surprised at how often the chain is holding the boat without the anchor dug in all that well (in settled conditions).
One could consider whether your cruising area has a predominance of a particular bottom type and choose the anchor most suited to that as the first choice. I have a qite small plough as a 'lunchtime' anchor as retrieval is a lot easier for a quick stop.
One other thing, the larger danforths seem to be harder to stow than other types.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
2/3 of bower, and different type

seems to be the general rule, insofar as there is one.

I think you should be looking at a 35lb CQR or a 70lb Fisherman, by way of example.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
On my Sadler 34 I have a 35 lb Delta on all 8 mm chain as the bower, plus originally a 25 lb CQR on 16 mm Anchorplait plus about 6 metres of 8 mm chain as the kedge. Two year ago I bought a Fortress to use as the kedge, forget the size but it was sized as if the bower. It is so light that it does no harm (except to the wallet) to go for a bigger one. It is very successful as a kedge, but on this warp has failed to rebed twice on tide or wind changes, so I wouldn't sleep on it. The great advantage is the ease of retrieving it - it is hardly heavier than the chain alone. We still carry the CQR but it has not been used for a very long time.

G

I agree with the Fortess. I use one with 10metre of chain and 40metre of wrap. All round the Med I've never had a problem with it. Everyone I've met who has one says the same. Also its a good secondary anchor as they have great holding ability and are light to handle around the deck.