Kalamata Stop Over

Sooty Dog

Visit site
We are planning to sail anti-clockwise around the Peloponnese but it now looks like we need to return to the UK for two weeks in August.
Kalamata looks like a good place to leave the boat and its close to an airport. We aim to be beyond the Ionian but not quite as far as Elafonisos.
Does anyone have any information on guardiennage services in Kalamata or obtaining a berth in the marina. Do I need to book in advance?

Many Thanks.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Others will no doubt have more recent experience than mine but when we were there some years ago it seemed as secure as any other marina. Lazy lines, not anchor. I would not have thought gardiennage necessary but booking ahead seems sensible.

Mwinda

Visit site
Very secure, helpful, lazy lines - they help you moor up.
You can email them to reserve.
If possible get a berth away from Marina entrance as it gets choppy with prevailing

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Many boats winter afloat here on pontoons A through to D, and survive southerly winter gales. Pontoons further east suffer too much surge in winter gales, and are usually empty from October to April, excepting boats in transit, prepared to move if a big southerly is forecast. Booking ahead is needed for berths on A through to D.

With transient populations in summer, vacancies are common on easterly pontoons.

Summer southerlies strong enough to make easterly pontoons untenable are rare. In July and August, not more than once every three or four years. However, those berths may may become lively in strong sea breezes for a couple of late afternoons in a month. Those "in the know" moor up with quite long thin springy nylon lines, allowing the boat to move around without snatching heavily. Slack stout lines and big fenders set limits and prevent the boat from hitting any concrete!

Marina staff have always looked out for my boat when I've not been aboard over July or August.

Perfect shelter is possible in Pylos "shell" marina, even though it has no owner, staff or facilities. The task there is to ensure any ground line you use is in good condition, or pray that if someone moors alongside (a) they use good fenders, and (b), they clean off their shoes rather than trampling grit into your deck!

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The marina is one of the K&G group marinas. They run a centralised booking system which is very responsive. Fill in the booking request on their website and they'll respond within a few hours. If the booking is accepted and is for more than a couple of days, they'll want a deposit up front. The email confirming your booking will give instructions on how to pay the deposit, either by bank transfer or credit card. Not been to Kalamata for years but it was a reasonable place, we had the bikes on board then so getting into town wasn't too difficult. Be a bit of a hike on foot but I think there just be local busses available.

charles_reed

Visit site
Kalamata marina is 16 km from the airport with 3 flights a week to LHR, by BA and regular ones to ATH by Olympic.
The marina is fairly safe (a bit of a send when it's blowing from the S, in pontoons E to H), with regularly checked ground tackle and is the centre of the town dining-out area.
Efficient yard, usually plenty of room but a similar price to Levkas etc @ €26/night for 10m.