KAD43 salt water in engine bilge

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Hi
I’m getting about a litre per engine hour salt water in one of my my engine bilges. I’ve had seal leaks from water pumps in the past and it’s not that and there is no obvious drips from pipes or the filter. Where else could it have come from?
Cheers
David
Sealine S37 by the way

Momac

Visit site
Hi
I’m getting about a litre per engine hour salt water in one of my my engine bilges. I’ve had seal leaks from water pumps in the past and it’s not that and there is no obvious drips from pipes or the filter. Where else could it have come from?
Cheers
David
Sealine S37 by the way

I understand the steering on outdrive boats can let water in if not greased.

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
It's on outdrives.
OK, Ive never had outdrives, but they have to be sealed somehow ?
Mebbe try a large mirror & torch ?
Otherwise, perhaps a cracked hose somewhere in the system.
At least you have isolated the problem to just 1 engine.
Yes We know, it can be darn awkward, gettin into all the nooks & crannies, but, you will just have to persevere, with all means at your disposal.
Do you do your searches wit the engine off, or running ?
That could make a difference ?
Best of luck !!

DavidJ

Visit site
1L / hr when ?
Engine running or / and off ?
It seems to be with usage which fits with Martyn’s theory especially that I haven’t greased the outdrive steering for some years.......kind of slipped from my regular maintenance routine.
I’ll grease it up tomorrow and see how it goes.
Thanks all for very fast responses
Cheers
David

aquatom

Visit site
The most common places for sea water leaks on these engines excluding the sea water pumps are exhaust elbow cracked, exhaust down pipe corroded, aftercooler matrix leaking, oil cooler leaking (early ones only).

Bandit

Visit site
Also check below the oil cooler, they start to corrode and leak, if there is evidence of a leak remove and dismantle cooler.

simonfraser

Visit site
there is a bearing at the top of the helmet, needs greasing.
total pain to get to, but worth sorting.
you may be able to force new grease in / through when it is hot from having used the engine.
else you'll need to take the nipple off and poke the hole to the bearing.
then you can set up an extension and grease it from a more reasonable location, pm me.

DavidJ

Visit site
there is a bearing at the top of the helmet, needs greasing.
total pain to get to, but worth sorting.
you may be able to force new grease in / through when it is hot from having used the engine.
else you'll need to take the nipple off and poke the hole to the bearing.
then you can set up an extension and grease it from a more reasonable location, pm me.
I didn’t know about that one!
The problem is identified now, the pump, so not looking for further work. However I will look at the helmet bearing when the boat comes out for bottom scrub and new gaiters next spring.
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
David

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
My goodness the possibilities get worse!!
I’m greasing up tomorrow and will run the engines for a while and see if any water comes from anywhere. It’s going to be a blowy day so won’t be taking the boat out.

OK, this may or may not be useful...
I bought an used Broom 37, where some previous owner, just used universal grease, on the steering.
I didnt know the difference, between Grease Guns, and stupidly, without google, just bought a cheap chinese one !
Due to the solidified universal grease, the grease gun was useless !

On advice, I went to the local Würth shop, and paid a lot ( Well about 90 Quid )
for a hand held high pressure grease gun, with a locking snout & a couple of water resistant Würth grease cartridges !

Even with the high pressure grease gun, nothing was moving !

A mate, came on board, looked at the problem, & said, well, before hauling out & having to take the system apart, lets use the honey idea !
Honey Idea ???
Yes, old honey, goes white n can crystalize, same as grease can !

So, for about 20 mins, my knowlegable mate, played a heat gun, up and down the stainless shaft, and the grease area.
Once the grease, started to bubble, around the top of the stainless shaft..
My mar¡te yelled
Pump !
Sure enough, pumping away, the window putty like, white grease was slowly expelled, and finally the dark greenish Würth grease, came through !
Not had a problem, since !

Good Luck !