KAD43 / DP290 trim down - 'click' from relay but no trimming down

alt

Visit site
As title says...
Helping out a friend with KAD43's with DP290's.

When I press the 'down' button, I hear the relay click in the engine bay, but not going down. It trims up fine.

I'm guessing a loose wise or something simple but if you have any ideas it would be great.

So, we know it's...
not the switch
not the relay

Or could it be the relay? I didn't try swapping the relays around as didn't have time.

oGaryo

Visit site
As title says...
Helping out a friend with KAD43's with DP290's.

When I press the 'down' button, I hear the relay click in the engine bay, but not going down. It trims up fine.

I'm guessing a loose wise or something simple but if you have any ideas it would be great.

So, we know it's...
not the switch
not the relay

Or could it be the relay? I didn't try swapping the relays around as didn't have time.

I am not an expert on these by any stretch but have needed to replace one of the pumps on Bizzy Bee earlier in the year and did a bit of trial and error fault finding to ascertain it was the pump head that was buggered.. exhibited similar symptoms to what you have. wouldn't trim down whilst underway, fine in the marina though. turned out that one of the valves in the head was duff and couldn't create enough hydraulic pressure to move the drive in the down direction

Take the hydraulic unit off the reservoir (easy to do) and you'll see the valves that immerse in the reservoir, they can become blocked or just give up and die. easiest way to tell presuming you have twin drives on the boat is to exchange the port and starboard pump heads and see if the fault follows.

Also, even though the relay is clicking, I'd still try swapping those over too before trying the above as it's an even easier thing to do, 5 minute job

I wouldn't suspect the motor if it's able to drive the unit in the up direction.

cheers Gary

alt

Visit site
Thanks for the info, any idea if there's a way to manually trim it down like on an outboard?

-edit- If it was as you say above, wouldn't the motor still operate though? Hopefully just the relay i'll swap them over tomorrow

Last edited:

oGaryo

Visit site
Thanks for the info, any idea if there's a way to manually trim it down like on an outboard?

-edit- If it was as you say above, wouldn't the motor still operate though? Hopefully just the relay i'll swap them over tomorrow

I'm not sure to be honest but I would think not if it does turn out to be a valve issue.. only thing I can think of is swapping over the pumps and using the good pump to drive the unit down, then don't touch it until the duff pump is fixed. good point on the motor so looking more like a relay issue which will be good, as they're a doddle to sort out

KevB

Visit site
I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be the down actuator. The up and down aren't interchangeable so may be worth taking off the other pump if it has two. Not sure but I think they are coloured red and green and it was the red one.... I think. The pump always pumps in the same direction and it depends on which actuator opens as to whether it goes up or down.

tamarind

Visit site
There's two relays, 1 for trim up and 1 for trim down. If you swop the one that works with the other you then can see if it's the relay

alt

Visit site
There's two relays, 1 for trim up and 1 for trim down. If you swop the one that works with the other you then can see if it's the relay

Yup, aware of this. But I didn't even have to go that far. Once I giggled the connector all came back to life!!