KAD32 Low Power and RPM

ZealousChris

Visit site
Hi

My KAD32 is topping out at around 2500RPM under load it only getting us uptown to around 10Kts in our Sealine S23.

Here is a video of it starting from cold-
- It sounds like it's only running of 4 cylinders

And once warmed up with no load

She has been stood for a while and although run up fairly regularly, not been taken out of the marina. Could it be the injectors or something else?

Many thanks

Chris

QBhoy

Visit site
Could be a few things on that engine. If you can hear the supercharger clutching in and out ok, it’s most likely going to be the turbo at fault. There is also a chance it could be cylinder head related too. Best case would be bad fuel or restriction of fuel.
When under load and at the point of not going any further in revs…is there black smoke evident out the back ? If there is, you’d be suspecting the turbo is at fault
Being optimistic, have a look at the fuel filters and their contents. Pour them out into a glass to settle. See what’s in there, if it’s not already evident as an issue.
Failing all that, have a look in the coolant header tank for signs of exhaust gas contamination from a compromised cylinder head. There will be black stained scum marks in there and even signs of pressure release and coolant loss from the cap.
I have a turbo to fit on one of these this week. Had failed and causing issues. Sent it away to AET turbos. Used them a few times now. Amazing service.

ZealousChris

Visit site
Hi Thanks for the info - videos should work now.

Glad it's only 4 cylinders :unsure: I was worried I'd lost 2!

There is no black smoke, the diesel is old so it could be that. I had just over half a tank that was in in there for a while, I added some additives and topped up the tank before leaving the marina.

QBhoy

Visit site
Wee picture of the one I’m working on
Hi Thanks for the info - videos should work now.

Glad it's only 4 cylinders :unsure: I was worried I'd lost 2!

There is no black smoke, the diesel is old so it could be that. I had just over half a tank that was in in there for a while, I added some additives and topped up the tank before leaving the marina.
Have a look at the fuel filters, for water.

Momac

Visit site
There is a lot of water in the sump for the bilge pump which means there is water in the bilge under the engine bay floor liner.
I suggest pumping that all out using a portable pump like an oil extractor.

BruceK

Visit site
For a KAD that is a rather hard start from cold. Even if they had sat all winter they shouldnt start that hard. With those symptoms seen and reported I would be looking at fuel delivery. Especially if you have recently changed fuel filters or disturbed the fuel lines in any way. If it always starts hard from cold, next time crack an injector slightly and crank over a few times to bleed the lines and then try starting because I suspect you have an air leak somewhere first or fuel starvation second. Turbo issues generally make themselves felt around the 3krpm mark rather than the 2500 rpm mark which pushes it down to the third place suspect for me. And lastly check the CAC / intercooler fins are clean and not gummed up with any oil restricting airflow and similarly the air filter is clean.

I have omitted dirty bottom as that would not account for such a hard start

Reactions: A_8

ZealousChris

Visit site
Quick update - I had a look at the fuel filter and the fuel is looking good. However, the filter was only half full, which suggests it is sucking in air form somewhere. I have copper fuel lines and apparently this can be a common issue with these as they get older, so having them replaced with rubber ones.

Fuel Sample.jpg

A_8

Visit site
I agree with BruceK, that is way too difficult a cold start so very likely a fuel delivery issue and like MartynG says you probably have an air leak. You can still also have bad fuel or a bad turbo.

SC35

Visit site
Had same problem Adaq31 the turbo was seized.
I freed it off by spinning rotor by hand with engine stopped

This: remove the exhaust elbow and spin the turbo with your fingers.
If seriously stuck, it will need professional attention.