Just got this email, Portugal loves us!

srm

Visit site

Beneteau381

Visit site
Googled FATA Transfers. This is their add:

Fata Transfers | Your Transfer Company in Faro‎

Most reliable company in the Algarve. We can take you anywhere at anytime. English Speaking Drivers. Free Child & Baby Seats. No Extra For Golf Bags.

Draw your own conclusions

However Portuguese government policy does seem to be positive to Brits.
Preparação para o Brexit – Portal de Informação ao Imigrante
(y)
I, along with others have now got fiscal numbers and a 5 year temp residence. This allows as they say, access to their NHS, import of a car etc.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
True but possibly the big question after spending 90 days in Portugal can you still go to another Schengen country, say Spain or have you used up your allowance to visit other Schengen countries❓

From everything I've been told and read so far, the Schengen clock is stopped when in your country of residence so still 90 days elsewhere. I mailed the EU enquiry dept, asking how we stop the clock when entering country of residence via another state as there are no border stamps to say we've left that state so, as far as they're concerned, the 90 day clock is ticking. Still no reply except for auto acknowledgement.

nortada

Visit site
From everything I've been told and read so far, the Schengen clock is stopped when in your country of residence so still 90 days elsewhere. I mailed the EU enquiry dept, asking how we stop the clock when entering country of residence via another state as there are no border stamps to say we've left that state so, as far as they're concerned, the 90 day clock is ticking. Still no reply except for auto acknowledgement.

Then, unless you hear to the contrary if the ‘clock keeps ticking’ I assume after 90 days you will have used up your entitlement to enter another Schengen country❓

Could make the summer cruises interesting or even a thing of the past, with Brit boat owners ‘trapped’ in their country of residence❓

Graham376

Visit site
Then, unless you hear to the contrary if the ‘clock keeps ticking’ I assume after 90 days you will have used up your entitlement to enter another Schengen country❓ Could make the summer cruises interesting or even a thing of the past, with Brit boat owners ‘trapped’ in their country of residence❓

I'm not worried as I don't think it will be a problem, throughout EU there will be thousands of people (most in houses) in the same position so a solution will have to be found. We just need to know how many hoops we will have to jump through.

nortada

Visit site
I'm not worried as I don't think it will be a problem, throughout EU there will be thousands of people (most in houses) in the same position so a solution will have to be found. We just need to know how many hoops we will have to jump through.

Fully agree.

In practical terms it will may only have an impact on those nomadic cruisers who like to winter in a selection of different countries. (Sailaboutvic springs to mind).

From observation, the vast majority of long term liveaboards cruise during the summer (mid June to mid September) then return to their home port/area for the winter so provided that time spent in their country of residence doesn't count as days spent in the Schengen Zone, they will be able to continue with this life style.

If it does, they may have to limit their cruising to their country of residence, or employ a work around. For us, Gibraltar and Morocco spring to mind, with the Madeira, the Azores and The Verde's - not a bad cruising area. Wonder how the Canaries will fit in?

In a hurry, I did once sail Viana Do Castelo direct to Portsmouth but wouldn't do that again!

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
There is an American guy who spends much of the summer at anchor in Praia da Vitoria harbour every year. He just keeps going around the Atlantic circuit; last summer was probably his 18th time around. Sadly another American couple who had been doing the same thing had to alter their route a couple of years ago due to advancing years and health issues. I heard they were spending more time in North Africa because of the Schengen limitations.

The Schengen Zone visitor time limit does seem a bit unrealistic given that it extends from Iceland to Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know there lot of people worried about all this, we met enough who are selling up because its not worth their while if they can only stay 90 day /180
I have better things to worry about like will my old age dinghy last another year :)
I am confident there going to be a way around it one way or another ,
it maybe the case where us Brit will have to take a leaf out of our EU and non EU friends and stop fully following the rules.
its not just us cruisers it will effect , there the thousands of pensioners who pop off over the winter months to warmer country's ,the MV that spend the summer driving all over Europe and the back packers

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
it maybe the case where us Brit will have to take a leaf out of our EU and non EU friends and stop fully following the rules.

Problem is if caught overstaying, there can be hefty fines, deportation and bans on re-entry for several years. Unfortunately, nomads will be of little interest to the negotiators as there are far more important issues to deal with. Is there any way to lobby them?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Getting caught is a risk you take if you play the game but then if you want to live full time aboard and move from country to country we may have never other option .
May do it now and have been for many years .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Getting caught is a risk you take if you play the game but then if you want to live full time aboard and move from country to country we may have no other option .
Many do it now and have been for many years , i not heard of any one been deported so far .
Talking for myself , it's no problem for me to pop over to North Africa every so offen .