JSASTC to be taken over by Army

Never Grumble

Visit site
Not convinced that going in any weather is the right thing to do. I remember spending a forenoon watch looking for a body in Christchurch Bay I think that had come off a JS yacht that had crept too close to the Shambles.

Frogmogman

Visit site
My late and greatly missed Uncle, who really helped to develop much of my enthusiasm for sailing, always kept his boats at Hornet; I have some very happy memories of the place.

Back in (I think) 1979, when the JSASTC was still called JSSC (Jolly Sailors Sex Club, I was told), I was lucky enough to enjoy a week's sail training on Chaser, which was then skippered by a guy called Dave Butcher. It was blowing old boots for the whole week, but it was a great experience.

Pete7

Visit site
This gathering of ex-services yachtspeople prompts me to ask the question John alludes to in post 16.

#2 sprog is a medical student who is planning to take his AIB presently. He has a slight hankering after the Marines but would also be happy aboard a surface ship or a submarine.

Which branch should he choose?

Can't advise on career choices, I wore khaki and worked for a living. However, brushing up on RN history, UK current affairs and read Navy News frequently to see were we are and what we are doing there isn't going to go amiss.

Navy News Magazine | Royal Navy

Pete7

Visit site
Not convinced that going in any weather is the right thing to do. I remember spending a forenoon watch looking for a body in Christchurch Bay I think that had come off a JS yacht that had crept too close to the Shambles.

I think that both he and the mate will have done lots of planning before we set off including checking the weather. Of course what he then said to us in jest may have been a little different :)

The one take away from sailing at JSSC was that things were done right. Yes it might be a pain to pump the empty bilge every hour on the hour and record it in the log, but it was done. Later to reveal we had a slow leak when half way across Biscay. You did wear oiles when cooking even though early 1980s issue foul weather gear was dire. Again a pain and not under stood until one night off Finisterre a large pot of boiling spaghetti jumped off the stove and went down the back of the cooker. Fishing that out of the deep bilge on a Nic 55 was no fun less it block the bilge pumps. But it wasn't lost on the novice crew that the pan could have gone the other way over the cook. Going out of the cockpit in daylight, are you clipped on? clipped on in the cockpit at night. Can't say on my yacht we always follow what was taught back then, but it's remembered and the reasons understood.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
My late and greatly missed Uncle, who really helped to develop much of my enthusiasm for sailing, always kept his boats at Hornet; I have some very happy memories of the place.

Back in (I think) 1979, when the JSASTC was still called JSSC (Jolly Sailors Sex Club, I was told), I was lucky enough to enjoy a week's sail training on Chaser, which was then skippered by a guy called Dave Butcher. It was blowing old boots for the whole week, but it was a great experience.
There's a name I haven't heard for a while. I knew Dave Butcher through Hill Head Sailing Club many years ago.

Visit site
I have fond memories of taking Air Training Corps cadets for sailing training in the JSASTC Fox Terriers out of Hornet between 2000 and 2010. Lovely little boats, 2 had bilge keels and one had a fin keel. It really helped to know which type you had if you went aground in that tricky bit west of Pompey entrance!

ctelfer38

www.classic-cruising.com
Can't be certain, but I thought some of them were sold off. With the Vic 34 fleet all those HRs made a bit of a parking problem and doubt they could have put them all to a good use at the same time. No idea what they were like condition wise. Hopefully the money raised goes back into the fleet somewhere rather than a MOD budget for boring things like boots or comfy sleeping bags for the RAF. Not that they would ever use them, 4 star hotels even when on ops bombing Libya, because the Italian airfield officers mess wasn't good enough :censored:
The HRs were in almost new condition. Do we know where they are now? CBT

Topcat47

Visit site
We had a big shake up at the club and put in a new pontoon to free off space for them. As I'm currently locked out by the OIC until Boris frees us from house arrest, I can't check if any are still there but the two power boats that accompanied them are visible from Haslar Bridge.