Johnson 8HP outboard

cyczebhes

Visit site
My johnson two stroke outboard has lost drive. The engine works fine, However when I try to engage forward or reverse, nothing happens. Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

Any ideas on what to do mext would be much appreciated.

VicS

Visit site
Shear pin?

What year / model number engine are we taking about. I guess somewhere between 1984 and 2005. All pretty much the same but there is some variation in the gear selection mechanism.

There is conical plastic end cap on the end of the prop shaft remove the split pin take it off. (Need to check with the correct year diagrams but) you should then find the shear pin though the shaft and prop hub behind it.

# 51 in this diagram

Last edited:

cyczebhes

Visit site
thanks

Yes it does have a plastic end cap. I'm not sure of the motors year but I will have a look over the next couple days. It's good to have a starting point. I was going to try and find a download for the workshop manual so the diagram is a great start.

Many thanks

VicS

Visit site
Just edited my post a little.

The model number should be on a plate on the port side transom bracket. That will tell us the year.

You'll not find a manual on line anywhere. 1996 and earlier can be obtained from Ken Cook at http://www.outboardbooks.com/ but that site does not seem to be working at the moment. Post 1996 from your dealer i guess

Lakesailor

Visit site
With the engine not running but in gear, can you turn the prop easily?
If you can the shear-pin or the rubber hub bonding have gone. If it has a plastic cone shaped cap on the end of the prop like in this pic it will be a shear pin. Easy job.

Take out the split pin. Undo the cone shaped nut. Remove the prop (it may need a bit of bashing with a soft mallet) and replace the broken pin.

Johnsonprop.jpg

Last edited:

cyczebhes

Visit site
Yes, when in gear the prop does spin freely. I do have the plastic cup type. I'll take it apart next weekend. I guess the best place to get a replacement pin is a Johnson dealer.

Many thanks for your help