JOG 2016

Racecruiser

Visit site
I've been giving some thought to getting more class six boats racing offshore and I'm not sure what the answer is.

Dropping the class though would, I think, be counter productive. By all means combine starts but I really don't want to have to compete with Sigma 38s and the like. That would turn races into more of a weather/handicap lottery again. There's no reason why we shouldn't share start lines but the results should stay extracted in my view.

There is a Facebook group that had been formed with a view to getting owners of these sorts of boats to coordinate better; I shall ask the question there and feed back via you and Andy Hill.

Interesting - what's is the Facebook group? Feel free to feed anything back. St Peter Port SIs should be out any minute for bank hol w/e, usually popular across all classes. Agree with your thoughts on 3 classes.

Last edited:

Sandyman

Visit site
Bom Dia JOGers
Long shot but does anyone remember a Sigma 33 GBR4582 Rapscallion of Suburbia RNSA ?
Seems she last raced in about 2010. I used to crew about 12 years ago. Wondered what happened to her & her owner Les Stagpool.

Judders

Visit site
Probably an obvious answer here, but what happened to Class 1 and 2? No entrants, or ???

Originally the classes lined up with the RORC class splits. The idea was to provide strictly corinthian or amateur racing along similar lines to RORC. Then, as now, classes 1 & 2 were for bigger boats with bigger budgets which JOG was to some extent a reaction to. A top limit of 1.200 allows some pretty fancy boats in but keeps it in line with those founding principles. I must say I don't know what the current RORC splits are bur presumably they line up closely enough as we run one race (St Malo) that is dual scored in both series.

So to answer the question more directly; no, I understand there never was a class one or two.

Judders

Visit site
Poole this wee. Looks a tad unpleasant which probably justifies the shorter course.

Last year around St Kats was brutal and by most recollections the toughest JOG race in some years. Halving the distance and missing out the rough spots seemed a bit of a shame but now it looks like it's going to blow old boots again I think we're probably better off.