Jib with uv damage

G

This roller reefing jib came with my boat.Six incehes of the leech can be torn like paper almost and is a different colour.The rest of the sail seems new.Is it worth cutting the damaged part off and sewing a new seam.The cringles seem just stamped into the sail and I would have to relocate these.Could these be sewn into the sail at the new position.Is it a job for a sailmaker'Is it worth my while at all?Sould I dump it and buy new?Is sail thread available or is there a cheap alternative.and finally anyone know where I could obtain stick on telltales?
Thanks in advance.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
This is common damage on jibs without a UV strip. It is possible to replace the damaged strip but it it not as straightforward as cutting off the old and sewing on the new, because the panels run across the line of the cut. A sailmaker can do this but a good deal of skill is required and naturally it doesn't come cheap. An estimate costs nothing, so that's the way I would go. It will almost certainly cost less than a new sail, but you will have to take his advice on whether the rest of the sail is worth it. It is possible that a sail that had never been flown could be damaged in this way, so there are clearly benefits in investigating.

We usually make our own telltales, although they are for sail in almost every chandlers. We bought some adhesive sail number material years ago and from the leftovers cut enough one-inch diameter discs to last the rest of our lives. On choice of materials - thin tape flies best but sticks to the sail as soon as it gets wet. Wool flies less readily but is less affected by wet. However it sticks to stitching far more.

AndrewB

Visit site
Yes, I agree totally. I think you'll find sailmakers say it's not an economic proposition. But we had a sail like this and simply recut it ourselves (a sturdy sewing machine is a great asset). Not the most beautiful setting sail in the world, but it lasted a couple of extra seasons.

robp

Visit site
This is one of the drawbacks with the new "value" boats we are always discussing. I have the same problem/answer and need new sails after three years on a Ben. Main bagged, (helped on it's way by laundering) and no U.V. protection on the Genoa, causing this problem. Cheap sails to begin with though.

G

If you are going to give it a go have a read of "practical sail care and repair" avail from pbo bookshop. Excellent tome on what to use and how to do it. I used my wife domestic machine with polyester thread from a local upholsterer.
She never evn noticed the abuse!!