Jet ski ploughs into a power boat.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Jet ski ploughs into a power boat and nearly sinks it.

I was just told (trying to get more details) that couple days ago a jet ski with a father and his very young son smashed into the side of a power boat (at anchor) here.

The jet ski was fairly well embedded in the side of the boat. :eek: :eek:

The father and son were still seated on the jet ski at the end of it all. :eek:

Apparently they escaped serious injury - but the boat didn't !

Will try and get some pics.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
Collisions of this nature seem to happen fairly regularly here.
Although they are more often two jet-skis (aka Yamaha Waverunners, the most popular type) coming into close contact with each other.
The standard response is "I never saw him Guv, honest"
Even after the jet ski has just smashed into the side of a big sailing yacht.
As happened with one of the day charter cats a little while ago - cat was at anchor, jet-ski did a full speed broadside ramming on the starboard bow, punched a hole in the hull, and the driver was catapulted into orbit, landing without a scratch on the trampoline between the hulls.

What do you expect when a tourist, who has just slung perhaps 4 or 5 strong pummy runches down his neck at mid-day, decides to have a go on one of the 1100 cc water-borne motor bikes? After 2 minutes of basic instruction the operator sends him (and often a passenger or 2) off on their merry way........

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Some pictures

Hull is 1/2" ply inner ply liner is 1/4" both encapsulated with cloth and resin.

Boat understood that it was built several years ago by Rebel Marine in Anguilla.

P1170974.jpg

P1170976.jpg

P1170978.jpg

P1170981.jpg

Notice the dent in the 2" dia aluminium T-top support and the base plate is pulled off the deck

Also note the blue bits from the jet ski lying in front of the console.

P1170977.jpg

Last edited:

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
I don't know if :-

a) the Holidaymaker agreed to pay for repairs

b) the Jet Ski operator agreed to pay for repairs

c) the Jet Ski operator has insurance

d) the Holidaymaker had insurance and if so would it cover it.

If I was the boat owner, I'd sue the Jet Ski operator and take jet skis in payment, then destroy them or sell them in another island. I hate them

pappaecho

Visit site
Looks like the driver of the Jet ski is up for a Concordia award.. sorry just realised that you have to hit something with a vessel greater than 100,000 tonnes

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Key riced! To ding stainless tubing like that alone is a task! Doing it after having punched a 1/2 metre diameter hole in 1/2 inch plywood is a hell of an achievement!

'Lucky' the boat owner is not claiming from someone's estate.

neale

Visit site
I like wave runners (Haven't seen a jet ski for years) Always have a couple of hours in the Gulf of Mexico when on holiday in Florida. Guns don't kill people - people do! Same with wave runners.

To be totally correct both Jet Ski (Kawasaki) and WaveRunner (Yamaha) are trademark names. Unless we know the make of the one involved the correct term is PWC :D

AllanJ

Visit site
The jet ski jockey will probably be on a plane soon when his holiday finishes. The boat owner will not have use of his boat for weeks :(

I'm against regulations and licensing but I'd happily see that changed for jet skis.

Then be prepared to be similarly regulated. Why is it always someone else who needs more rules?
If we are to regulate everything that occassionally goes wrong then you logically need to extend that to almost every activity in the home (smokers are already quaking :) )

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Key riced! To ding stainless tubing like that alone is a task! Doing it after having punched a 1/2 metre diameter hole in 1/2 inch plywood is a hell of an achievement!

'Lucky' the boat owner is not claiming from someone's estate.

Actually it is aluminium, but still the force must have been significant to do that after crashing through 1/2" and 1/4" fibreglass sheathed plywood.