Jester Challenge 2014 Latest Information

andlauer

Visit site
Bonsoir Paul
Je vais être malpoli comme un français.
peux-tu être moins con ? Stupid!
Amicalement
Eric
PS : You will need your dictionary and your grammar to understand and it is on purpose !
PS2: Every body knew it and who cares ?
PS3: Enjoy !

Last edited:

LASSALLE

Visit site
Congratulations Paul
If you cut the nose of the boat, think you your performance will be less good?
I think it will be less beautiful.
simply, you are the better and an exemple for us.
JJ

andlauer

Visit site
Bonsoir
If you look at the "6.5m mini" serie. The last prototypes with very short and large bow are more efficient than the previous ones.
Amicalement
Eric

Gargleblaster

Visit site
The latest Sitrep has a change of direction towards the Azores but no definite news that he has turned back. Len was worried about the time it would take from the start. So that could very well be the reason.

ScallywagII

Visit site
Hi,

I thought time would be a bit short so set a target to reach 50w BY 24TH june 1200 and was 30 hours late, so returned to Azores. Good sailing but slow going west with headwinds all the way. Briliant sail back. Good job we didn't continue, as would have met up with Arthur

Regards,

Len

sailorman

Visit site
Hi Len
pleased all ok.
what a shame almost 3/4 of the way to Newport, then turn back, bummer.
A superb effort all the same, you have done what most wouldnt even contemplate doing.

Downsman

Visit site
Hi,

I thought time would be a bit short so set a target to reach 50w BY 24TH june 1200 and was 30 hours late, so returned to Azores. Good sailing but slow going west with headwinds all the way. Briliant sail back. Good job we didn't continue, as would have met up with Arthur

Regards,

Len

Good decision :encouragement:

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Len,
It is a tradition of the Jester Challenge that someone always finishes a year late. I did it in 2007 and Guy Waites did it in 2011. So that is your job for next year. Guy's record for the longest crossing of the Atlantic stands at 415 days. all you have to do to beat that record is arrive 416 days or more after the start in May 2014.
All the best,

ScallywagII

Visit site
Thanks John,

It is an entertaining idea, but the US embassy only gave me a one year visa. I was given the option of "upgrading" to a five year one for another £25, but after arriving on time and waiting 4 hours, I was in no mood to argue and would cheerfully have just taken the passport back minus the visa. I told the "consular official" that if that is how they treat visiting yachtsmen I would go elsewhere. I had already paid £100 for what should have been a 10 year one.

It is such a pity that Norm and the others at NYC take so much trouble to look after the Jesters and OSTARs etc, but their government have such an unhelpful attitude. What a contrast in the Azores. The marina in PdV phoned the border police. Before they had finished booking us in, the police arrived, a few polite questions, stamp in the passport. Welcome to the Azores. And I am a non EU citizen.

Perhaps after the ten years I paid for have elapsed my attitude will have softened and I can leave in 2024, thus claiming, if all goes well, a record time of around 3700 days.

Regards,

Len
Scallywag II
Flores

Independence

Visit site
Coming to Fox's

Hi Roger, not sure where the idea of a reception came from. My family and Rosemary wanted to welome me back and at the same time i need to off load some kit and bits before going back on my mooring. I thought your marina would be ideal for both. No big celebration though. Just very much looking forward to catching up with my folks and perhaps a drink in your club bar if it is open. If you are around it woud be nice to catch up.
Paul

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
Len and Scallywag II have arrived safely in Penzance.

Beating Bertha back across the Atlantic by a few hours!

Congratulations to Len Hiley on his safe return from a great adventure.

PacketRat

Visit site
Scouse Mouse "starting late"

For what it's worth ...

May - Scouse Mouse not ready :dejection:- hired a car and attended the start of JC14 in Plymouth.
July - set sail:encouragement:, Plymouth bound, from Liverpool.
July (same day) - tore mainsail:black_eyed:, returned to Liverpool:dejection:, broke rudder.:black_eyed:
September - Plymouth bound (again):encouragement:.
October - arrived Plymouth (slowly. Long story.:rolleyes:)
October 10th - :triumphant: Complete with a newly acquired chart of the Azores, Scouse Mouse crossed the start line.:cool:
October 11th - Off the Lizard, a bracket snapped.:livid: I turned back to St Mawes for repairs.:dejection: And threw in the towel.:beaten:

So, that makes a total of, er, well, about 50 miles:triumphant:, I guess.:hopeless:

Many congratulations :applause: to Paul, Roger, Len, Basil, Andy, Howard and Peter.:very_drunk:

Honi soit qui mal y pense:tranquillity: