Jester Challenge 2014 Latest Information

Gargleblaster

Visit site
He is ok. Latest position 39.21.90N; 23.06.10W 24th May 2014.

What great news. Just read both his blogs. I was away on my boat all weekend and was quite worried.
I notice Basil says he is sending his SPOTs but he is doing something wrong as they aren't getting through. I wonder if he is sending them from in his cabin if the weather is bad. I've noticed myself that when I try to send a SPOT from the cabin it doesn't get through.

oldbilbo

Visit site
I think it's nearer 200 NM

Perhaps your logarithms differ from mine, but the latest posted positions this evening indicate about 30' dLongitude and about 4' dLatitude.... with eight hours time difference in the reported positions.

Perhaps you're looking at a different 'Ocean Race Track'....

Update:

Message from Paul on Independance II Tue 17 Jun 2014 15:33

Message from Paul @ 12.00 BST today ( 17/06/201 )

40 21N. 65 17W Trk 280. Distance to go 262nm.

Last edited:

oldbilbo

Visit site
My Dear Countess256,

You may well subscribe to a more informative news service than I. The info I am stuck with is read directly from the 'Ocean Race Track' map, which shows me no date. There is an occasional 'Sitrep' update embedded in the 'participant's entry page ( I nearly wrote 'competitor'.... ) and I refer to that when available - as I have done just above.

Of course the inferences one makes from this sparse info are likely to be inaccurate to some extent, but one makes the best guess one can re progress - and the purpose here is only to provoke interest, not dispute.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonsoir
Quelle belle bataille d'égo !
More seriously, if you enter the "oceanracetrack" chart through one of the boats; then, when you click on a boat, the date of the last entry is available.
Sorry we are working with this marvellous tool provided by for free by Martin (merci) but as always it is not perfect.
Amicalement
Eric

oldbilbo

Visit site
Following Eric's helpful suggestions, it seems from Paul Mead's latest as of 1100hrs this morning/19 July, and Google Earth's 'distance ruler', that he NOW has about 100nm to run. Here's hoping he has a solid, freeing breeze to get him into Newport before the port's approaches are closed tomorrow afternoon, due to the planned Start of the Bermuda race.

andlauer

Visit site

oldbilbo

Visit site
Thank you, Eric

Here's the latest from Norman Bailey, the redoubtable 'reception committee' at Newport...

At 7.40pm BST

I just spoke to Paul. He has 30 miles to go.
Will keep you advised.

Regards

Norm

The concern must be for him to avoid becoming entangled in the mass start of the Newport-Bermuda Race..... about now.

oldbilbo

Visit site
From Newport, Paul 'Mead' in 'Independence II' completed his Jester Challenge during the night. This from the Newport Yacht Club at 0513 today....

"Like everyone who went before him. Paul received his bottle of Sam Adams, ice cold" - Norman Bailey

- around 0240hrs, according to his Spot Tracker data, and this...

Paul finished this adventure at 2240 hours local time June 20. We are currently heading into port.

Regards, Norm

photo.jpg

Now our thoughts turn to the others out there....

Last edited:

oldbilbo

Visit site
As of Sunday morning....

Roger Fitzgerald / 'Ella Trout III' update Sun 22 Jun 2014 06:14

Roger has just sent me a text message stating that he had about 1 1/2 hours to the end of Vineyard Sound.

From there he has 18 miles to the R2 buoy (Brenton Reef).

There is a high over the area with a slight breeze from the SW. Don't think he'll be moving very fast.

Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.

Regards,

Norm

Independence

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I do need to remind you all that Independence is 30.7 feet and that we were an invitee. Roger on Ella Trout is the first Jester Challenger to arrive in Newport.
Kind regards
Paul