Jeanneau swinging keel

G

I have a Jeanneau Fantasia 27. It has a swinging keel. hauled up via a rope and winch. Just aft of the keel on the centre line of the boat under the sole is what appears to be a substantial sea cock. It isn't connected to anything and of course it is just shut off. The manual describes this as a "drop keel release valve" - which doesn't make sense.

Has anyone else got one? If so, what is it and what do I do with it?

Cheers

Geoff Westgarth

G

The sea cock you mention came with a long black tube when the boat was new. You put the tube over the sea cock, opened the valve, looked down the hole and checked your keel-to-hoisting rope connection. I suppose if the keel was jammed in the up position you could stuff something down the hole to force it down, though it's such a simple and reliable mechanism it shouldn't happen.

G

Not at all Malcolm. The reason I know is that I've owned a swing keel ( technically it's a centre plate with a stub keel ) Jeanneau from new and have still got the extended pipe.

G

Interesting information, which no doubt might have got lost in time. If you have no objection I will put a note for future reference on the Owners Network site at http://jeanneau.tripod.com

Malcolm Volunteer Webcrew