JC 2014

c2518

Visit site
Well, I've finally taken the plunge and committed Osprey and I to JC 2014. Now to seize the day and get on with it. I look forward to the journey and welcome comments, criticism and any opportunity for a good whiskey. I'm up in West Cumbria and Osprey is a 1979 Corribee.

Myk

Visit site
Hi (no name) What if the tiger was having a really bad toothache all day.
Still welcome to 2014 JC hope to see you at the start.

Myk.

helixkimara

Visit site
Well, I've finally taken the plunge and committed Osprey and I to JC 2014. Now to seize the day and get on with it. I look forward to the journey and welcome comments, criticism and any opportunity for a good whiskey. I'm up in West Cumbria and Osprey is a 1979 Corribee.

Well said, Are you going to "Roger" your Corribee, as in Roger Taylor "Ocean it", unsinkable, water tight, all reefing to the cockpit etc. With a boat of this size, my priority would be to "unsinkable it"
Regards

c2518

Visit site
I'm poaching some of Roger's ideas, they are definitely tried and tested! The general idea is to beef Osprey up as much as practicable. I work away from home on rotation so have time to work on her and get the necessary solo sailing in between now and 2014. I've been assembling a lot of gear over the last year for Osprey's revamp (EBlag is my friend!) and will be lifting her out in November and getting stuck in so she is ready for next Spring. As we are based in West Cumbria the sailing will be all local although I think I may get chance to spend a couple of weeks with the Boss sailing off the Canaries next year. Anyone in or near West Cumbria who would like to meet up please drop me a line.

c2518

Visit site
Hi (no name) What if the tiger was having a really bad toothache all day.
Still welcome to 2014 JC hope to see you at the start.

Myk.
my name is Neil, and the tiger is somewhat toothless nowadays and whiskey will fix any ache!

PacketRat

Visit site
Hi, Neil.
Well done.
Scouse Mouse, my Pandora, was prepped for JC10 including a trip round Rockall, but was a no show for the main event. Since then, she's been laid up in a tidal gulley on the Dee. Like you, I've put my name down for JC14.
She's still pretty much ready to go and I'll be back on the water next summer. I keep a bottle of rum on board at all times and would be pleased to share your whiskey.
I've sent a PM with my contact details.
Good luck,
Robin.

c2518

Visit site
Robin, thanks for the PM. Would be good to meet up and compare notes (and a wee drink). I'm hoping for good weather next week so I can get some sailing in before I have to head back to work. Just arranged for Osprey to be lifted out in November so I can do her refit over the winter.

PacketRat

Visit site
Ok, no probs. I'm a fan of Eric's philosophy on JC. First, you have to get to the start line! It's no small feat in itself. Half of us don't make it that far. But between JCers, nobody minds, it's nothing to be ashamed of. We are all giving it our best shot in our own way.
Good luck.

PacketRat

Visit site
Alex,
Start off western end of Plymouth Breakwater at 1300 or 1400 BST Sunday 11th May 2014. Finish at Newport, Rhode Island, USA.
It isn't an organised event so you can't "enter" because everyone sails independently. Having said that, if you decide you want to do the trip, then all you need to do is say so and things will fall into place. Half of us don't make the start, so there's no worries on that score. If you've got any questions, then a lot of the skippers and potential future challengers use the Jester Challenge Yahoo forum. It's moderated but no one has yet been refused.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jesterchallenge/
Robin.
JC10 non starter and JC14 optimist.

puckertoe

Visit site
I have just found the Jester Forum.Thanks to helixkimara...thought Id post a reply here as I am trying to find out how one gets there name on the start list for the 2014 JC.
Having bought a yacht that is suitable for the Jester now I'm a bit daunted by the task of getting it ready for 2014. and all the sailing in between to test it out etc.
Where do you begin?

puckertoe

Visit site
As you might expect from people who set off to cross the Western Ocean in a glorified floating dog kennel. :)
Dog kennel? More like a plastic thing you take your cat to the vets in at present. But will have her ship shape and kennel fashion before long. Thanks for your replies all.

helixkimara

Visit site
I have just found the Jester Forum.Thanks to helixkimara...thought Id post a reply here as I am trying to find out how one gets there name on the start list for the 2014 JC.
Having bought a yacht that is suitable for the Jester now I'm a bit daunted by the task of getting it ready for 2014. and all the sailing in between to test it out etc.
Where do you begin?

(To begin,What I do) Sit down in a warm room with a hot cup of milky coffee, usually a Sunday morning with some "Sunday morning " music playing softly in the back ground and write a list of the lists you'll need.