Jackstay, schmackstay

Hippohay

Visit site
Would it be criminally irresponsible/tight to not bother with buying a £100 pair of jackstays for pootling round the Med this summer? Am worried about 'er outdoors' propensity to trip over almost anything on deck. I was thinking I could use rope to rig up a temporary line when necessary - passages/dodgy forecast.
Whadya think?

TiggerToo

Visit site
you can get them for much cheaper than that. Definitely worth having. The flat tape ones do not pose too much of a tripping hazard. If you search on these pages, someone posted a brilliant deal earlier on jackstays.

Aja

Visit site
As long as you can say - hand on heart - that you won't take a trip overboard.....

Donald

capnsensible

Visit site
Interesting, seems to be love em or hate em. Personally I put lazyjacks with chocolate fireguards, motorbike ashtrays and Gordon Brown.

Visit site
IMHO, this is one area where it would probably be an act of criminal irresponsibility not to fit something clearly adequate.

First, the SWMBO has a known tendency - now public - to trip over anything on the deck. So the responsible skipper devises and installs something that will keep her in the boat, in event of a trip while 'on passage/dodgy weather'.

Second, the technique recommended by ISAF, the RORC, the RYA, the MCA, Old Uncle Tom Cobley and All is to fit robust jackstays and use a robust personal lifeline. Do you really want to have to explain to assorted rozzers, accident investigators, coroners, etc., why you chose to ignore all the expert and experienced advice?

Third, the above outfits recommend a minimum breaking strain for the kit at over 2000kg, as I recall. Webbing needs to be both heavy-duty and not UV-degraded. Consequently, 5mm s/s wire rope is the stuff of choice, to do the job. If your deck finish is so pristine that you are more concerned about small abrasions in the teak or gelcoat than reliability, then sleeve the wire rope in cheap and cheerful plastic garden hose. The wire rope can generally be found in the large metal 'goodie bins' situated at the rear of most boatyards and riggers' shops - especially if there are lots of keen racers in the local marina.

Fourthly, if it's the life insurance you're after, you stand a better chance sending her off to row out the kedge, downwind on a wild night with the Mistral blowing, and the bitter end 'loose'.

Just don't tell anyone you learned about this on 'Reader to Reader'....!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Richard10002

Visit site
5mm wire on mine. dont even know it's there till we use it. much more likely to trip over furling line, genoa sheets and cars and car adjusters, (whatever they are called), and loads of other stuff.

How much is a few metres of 5mm wire with eyes in the end, 4 U bolts and 4 shackles, (probably about £100 from a chandlers).

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I think flat tape is recommended because 5mm stainless wire is lethal if you stand on it - it rolls under your foot and if it doesn't send you overboard it'll do you a nasty!

Visit site
Webbing tape jackstays should be replaced at least every second season, due to deterioration caused by UV exposure, and mechanical abrasion damage to the fibres by embedded dust-grit and salt crystals, day-after-day-after-day.

A couple of owners I know leave their tapes secured on deck summer and winter, year in - year out, when the original red colour has faded to grey and the securing cords at the ends are frazzled. "They're all right," I hear. "No problem. Trust 'em with my life, I would!"

Not with mine.....

Of course, if the thingys are just there for show.....

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif