J-class safety?

Skinman

Visit site
Hi,

can anyone explain to me why they ignore every basic safety precaution on those magnificent J-class boats?

No railings, no safety lines, no life vests, nothing.

Woodlouse

Visit site
They each have a monsterous great rib following not too far behind to pick up those left behind.

When cruising and offshore they do have railings, and safety lines and life vests and everything.

Poignard

Visit site
In the days when yachts such as these were built and raced by gentlemen, the loss overboard of a crewman and the payment of a few sovereigns compensation to his wretched widow was simply regarded as one of the regular and inevitable expenses associated with one's chosen sport. Like accidentally shooting a beater, or compromising a chambermaid.

Woodlouse

Visit site
In the days when yachts such as these were built and raced by gentlemen, the loss overboard of a crewman and the payment of a few sovereigns compensation to his wretched widow was simply regarded as one of the regular and inevitable expenses associated with one's chosen sport. Like accidentally shooting a beater, or compromising a chambermaid.
It was almost unheard of to lose a man from going over the side. All boats had a dinghy on deck and in the event of a mob the lashings could be cut and the boat in the water in seconds. Most deaths racing the big class boats died when either boats collided or when rigs fell down.

jwilson

Visit site
It was almost unheard of to lose a man from going over the side. All boats had a dinghy on deck and in the event of a mob the lashings could be cut and the boat in the water in seconds. Most deaths racing the big class boats died when either boats collided or when rigs fell down.

An antecedent of mine was paid crew on the "Big class" yacht "Thistle" when she went transatlantic to challenge for the Americas Cup in 1887. This was before the AC downsized to J Classes. "Thistle" picked up survivors from a sunken steamship on the way. He died 9 years later when a larger commercial sailing ship he was crewing was lost.

http://www.jsjohnston.org/JPEGs/246-thistle.jpg

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
Railings?
Sweden%20sailing01_zps8u65suk5.jpg

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
No lifelines or life jackets and there was no RIBs of any size in close attendance. The pic was taken of St Barts during the bucket when I found myself having to slalom through the fleet on a reciprocal course having missed a bit on the course setting.

Some of the J crews wear inflatable jackets. I know this as some of the bowman were in the chandlers buying new CO2 cartridges as the auto inflation was triggered during a boisterous run up Cades reef off Antigua.

View attachment 59015