I've found a cheap USB GPS dongle which works with OpenCPN on Mac OS X.

flo / snowflake

Visit site
prolific usb-serial driver installed.
(-:

tested it with the gps utility that came with the gpds dongle.
it works!!!!
i can now choose /dev/cu.usbserial as input.
(-:
just....open cpn does not seem to like it yet.
in option / settings it also offers me to choose /dev/cu.usbserial for data connection, but i do not get a position. baud rate is 4800 as taken from the gps dongle manual

i would send you screenshots, but i seem to be to stupid - when i click on "insert image" here i am asked for an url rather than can being able select a file from my computer??

flo

prv

Visit site
Ok, here's another thing to try:

screen /dev/cu.usbserial 4800

To keep things simple, do this without any of the other GPS tools running; I'm not sure how sharing devices works on OSX.

If the GPS is really working at 4800bps then you should see readable NMEA sentences in the terminal.

If it's sending data but at a different rate, you'll see bursts of random junk once a second.

If you don't see anything at all there are a few possibilities and we'll have to think again.

To exit the screen command, press "ctrl-A ctrl-K y" - or you could just close the terminal window.

The forum doesn't work very well with images; people mostly need to upload them to a different site and then link to them. But one handy thing about doing this stuff in the terminal is that it's all just text :)

Pete

Forum Moderation Team
Visit site
May one remind posters that strong debate is acceptable but incivility and personal abuse is not welcome. Keep the discussion to the thread topic please.

flo / snowflake

Visit site
i ran "screen /dev/cu.usbserial 4800" without any other application using the gps.

it is working, i do see readable NMEA sentences in the terminal.

it is still not working in open cpn.
i will upload a screenshot and post a link.

(seems the moderator weants you guys to be more moderate :eek: )
flo

Slycat

Visit site
On a related note, its worth pointing out that you can use an iphone as a GPS receiver for a mac. Not particularly efficient or practical but a nice option to have.

I usually have my macbook/phone on board so it's nice to know I can rely on it as a backup if I have an issue with my primary (and secondary!) GPS options.

c