I've bought a new boat...

Jomo

Visit site
That's a serious piece of boat Neil, looking forward to having a nose around. 2.1m, no problem in Hamford water, though getting in might be a bit more restricted:D

Congratulations..... and somewhat belatedly on the new job, which I assume is going well:p

Wunja

Visit site
I was going to suggest following Croix des Gardes.

Looks smashing Neil, hope it all goes through quickly and look forward to seeing her at the Pirate weekend.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Very interesting response on Scuttlebutt to Morgana's post

New boat... bucking the forum wisdom...

Not one negative response that I can see (phew! :D)

Now I think that reflects on Morgana being a long-standing forumite, an experienced sailor & being someone with undoubted sound judgement.

I just wonder if the response would have been slightly different if the post had been

I'm thinking of buying this boat - what do you think?

posted by a relative newcomer.

Don't get me wrong - she'll be a great cruising boat for the Morgana's - just needs a bit of blue, crystal clear water around her to make her perfect ;) .

Last edited:

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Nice one Neil bit more roomy than Toni is! Is she locally based? as HWMBO reckons that he has seen her before.
No, she's well away from the east coast at the moment.... she has had a previou owner living in Kent, but where he kept her I don't know, and it was a fair few years ago.

They only made 13, so its possible you've seen another one, but unlikely.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
That's an interesting observation Tradewinds (and thanks for your kind words!).

We did think long and hard before going down this route, and have based our decision on a very different set of requirements to those many will have. The need for confidence mid-ocean far outweighed the downsides of poor light wind performance etc....

It remains (IMHO) very important to be precise in what you need from a boat before you go shopping.

I often use an old project management tool called MOSCOW.... Must have.... Should have.... Could have... Won't have... it helps guide the decision wisely.... for sure this boat wouldn't be for everyone, but we're chuffed to bits!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Where is she currently, Neil? I was looking at the boat stand and while it is probably quite effective in calm conditions, I wouldn't like to see it in a winter gale. Even with the wooden side props I'd be checking my insurance policy. Not that it will be your problem until you assume ownership when I imagine you will be putting her straight in the water.

Your comment on not meeting everyone's requirements interests me. As I think we all dream of taking a proper bluewater boat across oceans at some time or another. A club I belong to in the Chilterns is setting up a day's masterclass with Jimmy Cornell on Ocean Cruising and our belief is that we will get primarily dreamers who want to do it rather than people who intend to do it. 'Phoenix' shows [IMHO] a very strong intention. I looked at a similar boat, 48' plastic long keeler with a proper bo'sprit although schooner rigged with a wine glass stern in the BVIs last year. Completely impractical for me as I know my wife would never accompany me beyond the East Coast rivers, which means I can only have a boat that I can single hand. My wife was beating me back as I salivated all over the boat. Fortunately it sold quite quickly and removed the temptation.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
That's an interesting observation Tradewinds (and thanks for your kind words!).

We did think long and hard before going down this route, and have based our decision on a very different set of requirements to those many will have. The need for confidence mid-ocean far outweighed the downsides of poor light wind performance etc....

It remains (IMHO) very important to be precise in what you need from a boat before you go shopping.

I often use an old project management tool called MOSCOW.... Must have.... Should have.... Could have... Won't have... it helps guide the decision wisely.... for sure this boat wouldn't be for everyone, but we're chuffed to bits!

Hi Neil,

Never heard of Moscow in that context before as I've never been involved in that sort of thing :).

You're absolutely right in wanting a boat you feel confident in mid-ocean when the going gets tough. My boat Rose of Wight did just that when were just in such a position on a few occasions on our travels.

You kind of fall in love with your boat - she's your home, your sanctuary in bad weather and your means of travel to places far over the current horizon. We've been back in UK for 12 years now and really only pootle about nowadays with odd forays to Holland but I when I go down to her I still feel the heart pumping & it will have to be something dire to make me part with her.

I suspect that is how you will feel about Phoenix in the years to come.

On a more practical note. You've got loads of room to store things (you'll still fill every nook & cranny!), good fuel & water capacity & a really homely interior.

She's a great first step - the hardest part is cutting the shorelines. Make sure you do.

Cheers
Nigel