It's this forums fault, I'm not impressed!

iangrant

Visit site
It\'s this forums fault, I\'m not impressed!

Taking a walk by the entrance to Chichester Harbour, by the Hayling lifeboat station yesterday morning, there were at least 12 boats out sailing. This has to stop. I believe that this winter sailing activity has been promoted by people on this forum. There used to be a time when there were only about two of us left out there to enjoy the peace and quiet. To top it all, two of the blighters were motor boats!!

Yours disgustedly

Ian

AndrewB

Visit site
Winter? Who said winter?

Since time immemorial yachtsmen have been tempted by a mild autumn to stay in a bit longer. Just wait till the first cold snap, after that you'll get the haunts of coot and tern all to yourself. And best of luck, as you sit anchored up some creek in the late afternoon gloom, rain slanting down outside, laying out the umpteenth game of patience while wrapped up in your sleeping bag in a freezing cold cabin with the condensation dripping from the hatch onto the cards.

Early bed again tonight? You can feel sorry for the rest of us poor souls missing all this pleasure, as we prop up the Yacht Club bar, explaining to one another how we plan to stay in ... NEXT year.

Boatman

Visit site
Re: It\'s this forums fault, I\'m not impressed!

Yes I was one of them, I always manage to sail right upto Christmas. Oh dear the location does make a difference it's Spain for me. (North coast yes that's Biscay) normally a boat maybe two in sight but this weekend 20+ don't know what's happening.

ParaHandy

Visit site
Re: Winter? Who said winter?

Not quite true....
Repaired heating this year (Webasto & req'd 2nd mortgage) and now nice & warm. (Except can't get crew out of bunk)

We're not daft either, went to Poole recently and emptied a sizable chunk of dosh beforehand from hole-in-wall to pay for overnight stay at Town Quay and was pleasantly surprised at low cost (35ft <£16 total). Showers & loo crummy but rest perfectly OK.

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Winter? Who said winter?

I stay in all winter, sail all winter! No condensation, not much rain and none of it horizontal, average temperature inside boat 18 deg, same as outside, Portugal, suffer in blighty chaps!

G

Don't encourage them, there's enough POMs down here already. Let them stay up there and watch our Rugby L & U teams thrash them!!!

ccscott49

Visit site

Nice one, I think he must have been in New Zealand for a few weeks!

ccscott49

Visit site

Need a few more posts like this before he wakes up down there!

G

Yeah sorry folks, we won the league but didn't go so well on the Union I beleive although Wales and Barbarians may disagree. Now sould I mention cricket or just shutup..... I suspect the latter.

Have a great winter guys and have a Guiness or two (hundred)!

G

Hey Ian ..... when you're taking a walk ... you couldn't stroll along and have a look at my little tub could you ???

I may be in the water, but I'm not hogging your space out there !!