Its been a late start

Bigplumbs

Visit site
For most in the U.K. the boating season has had rather a slow start. We have been out in the Sib but yesterday was the first trip out in the Rib. Just a local shake down to see how she is. All seemed to work well

little video below for those that are interested.

paradave

Visit site
We’ve been out loads this year already in our little open boat. I love winter boating.

Looking forward to some warm days too though!

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Do you have a speed limit on your river? Quite nice if not to be able to zip along.
In some places there is but in others there is not. There is a very large water ski area. During parts of the year (Generally the winter months) also the whole river has no limit.

Alicatt

Visit site
That looks like a lovely area to go boating
it was crowded with boats, still early in the season, there were lots of sailing boats out in the Ijsselmeer, was wanting to go out but just the one person said no, I guess the boat didn't match her outfit ;) She complained the last time we went out on a boat - where as my wife complained before she got onboard then found she loved it :)
Hoorn West Friesland:
_DSC8081sm.JPG_DSC8058sm.JPG_DSC8078sm.JPG

While we were in the museum, just after I took the picture of the water taxi above, a river cruise ship came in on that pier, it was 135m long and had come from Switzerland
_DSC8057sm.JPG

Seastoke

Visit site
For most in the U.K. the boating season has had rather a slow start. We have been out in the Sib but yesterday was the first trip out in the Rib. Just a local shake down to see how she is. All seemed to work well

little video below for those that are interested.

To see how she is ,she did great making that shed door.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
it was crowded with boats, still early in the season, there were lots of sailing boats out in the Ijsselmeer, was wanting to go out but just the one person said no, I guess the boat didn't match her outfit ;) She complained the last time we went out on a boat - where as my wife complained before she got onboard then found she loved it :)
Hoorn West Friesland:
View attachment 156511View attachment 156512View attachment 156513

While we were in the museum, just after I took the picture of the water taxi above, a river cruise ship came in on that pier, it was 135m long and had come from Switzerland
View attachment 156514
That is one monster river cruiser

Alicatt

Visit site
That is one monster river cruiser
There are lots like that on the Rhine, up close it is huge, just a big floating hotel!
CruiseShip2.jpg
There are at least 3 decks on it, plus the top where the bridge/wheelhouse is, the antennas and the bridge/wheelhouse can raise and lower to get under bridges. There is a radar on the bow along with the TV/satellite receivers that are in a fixed position then there is a radar up top on a mast that can be raised and lowered and another on the stern of the ship.
It's route:
CruiseShip1.jpg

Greg2

Visit site
That looks like a lovely area to go boating

It absolutely is!

We did a forthrights cruise to the Netherlands in 2006 - three sports cruisers in company - and thoroughly enjoyed it. We visited Hoorn amongst other places, including Edam which was just lovely. As we went down the canal to Edam my (then young) lad turned to me and said ‘This is a boaters paradise Dad.’ He wasn’t wrong! 😁

Mind you, the weather wasn’t too sharp and we had to abort our return passage due to it being too rough. Went home on the ferry and back the following weekend to collect two of the boats.

We went back further south a few years ago and had a similarly excellent time. Hopefully retirement will see us there for a few months at a time.

You could do a lot worse than trail one of your boats across on the ferry for a visit.

DSCF0020.jpeg

DSCF0005.jpeg

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
Not too much boating around here, its mainly the big barges on the Albert Canal that runs a couple of km from here. When in Friesland a couple of years ago it was a boating paradise we hired a 6m sloop to get around on for a day and visited a few towns on the canals, Hinderlopen was quite spectacular even in the rain.

Still some of the bridges there leave a bit to be desired in regards to the airdraught...
118787762_3577748852269932_74872270856181307_n.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
I have to be honest…I don’t usually go out in a F0.0025 but since it’s my last chance before my road trip, I had no choice…

Other threads that may be of interest