It's a Todd.....But which model???

MonkeyArms

Visit site
Hello all. New to the forum and in need of guidance since taking on this new project. Short summary: Boat was bought many moons ago as a project by previous owner who did nothing after working out rebuild costs. She was a bare hull, stripped of everything. So far the wife and I have stripped her back even more, salvaged what we could and are using parts as templates. Back to the original question though, I am puzzled as to what she is. Todd made the Tuna and Torpedo. In my opinion she is too small to be a Torpedo, and different from any other Tuna I have seen. Information is limited on line but all I can say is she looks like a Todd Torpedo at Todd Tuna length. Did they make different Torpedo hulls that were smaller versions of the 28ft ones? As far as I'm aware the Tuna are single motor where mine is a twin screw. Window arrangement is also different and mine obviously has a small folding mast for the Navigation light. Thanks in advance folks.

MonkeyArms

Visit site
The original manufacturers stamped plate was still present. I have pictures but won't be able to add them until this evening.

miket

Visit site
Not sure they did a later version? There was an earlier version, without the wrap around front superstructure windows.
Yours (Tod Tuna) is very much like a scaled down version of the 28ft Tod Tornado. The Tornado was available for some time after Tod stopped production as a Colvic moulded hull.

MonkeyArms

Visit site
Guys. My version of the Tod Tuna originally had 2 x AQ115 Volvos. I have in my possession a pair of BMC 1800 Marine with PRM Delta 20's. The question I would like answered is: I understand twin motors does not mean a higher top speed, just that you get to that speed slightly faster. Should I 1. go with the pair which are a pretty good fit but 60kg heavier overall then the original motors or 2. convert to a single and have an outboard as backup?

MonkeyArms

Visit site
Just to add, original configurations were single 100E Ford sidevalve, twin side valve, single Perkins 4107 or twin AQ115. Any help would be great.

Colyn

Visit site
Hi.
The picture is definately a Tod Tuna, but it is the Mark 2. The Mark 1 has six windows in the cabin, which are generally much smaller than those in your photo.
The Tuna was made with various engine configurations - A single engine, of various power ratings, and Twin engines, which were usually Ford 100E side-valve.
Let me know if you need further information.
Regards, Colyn.

drobertson

Visit site
hello, got interested, wondered if this was the tuna model, have exact same boat as this rigged up with a 55hp 2 stroke mariner, goes good, planes easily, converted to outboard since previous owner lost the stern with the z drive she used to have, still trying to give her a refurb and trying for an original canopy for her but struggling, anyone with good sources possibly, thanks