Itchenor Mooring

bumblefish

Visit site
Hi, I am currently at the far east of the Itchenor reach and have an option to move to a mooring much further west, actually the westernmost mooring. Apparently this is not a popular mooring because of the exposure. Is there anyone here who is moored in west Itchenor Reach that could give me their opinion?

KeithH

Visit site
I used to have an Itchenor mooring, but above Itchenor hard itself. However, having passed that way many times, I would not want one of the westernmost moorings as:

• They are definitely more exposed to the weather
  • They have a huge traffic of assorted boats from the hard in the summer as well as the ISC boats
There is much to be said for being upstream of Itchenor hard - or I suppose down towards Bosham.

bumblefish

Visit site
I am up near Bosham at the moment, however I am alongside the main channel and get a lot of slamming about from the wash of passing vessels and I have already had a £1800 bill for pulpit damage that was unreported! Swings and roundabouts?

KeithH

Visit site
I have great sympathy with you - even when I had a mooring two rows off the main channel above Itchenor, I used to get the occasional huge amount of wash from passing motor boats in the main channel - especially in the evening/early morning, when they know that the HM wont be there.

I recall one evening when the wash was so bad that I was knocked out of bed. Looking out of the hatch, I could see a receding motorboat, and masts of moored boats oscillating from side to side. I suppose that the key thing to do in such motor boats is never to look behind you to see the carnage you are creating.

I must say that I would like to see a recording speed camera (the like of which you often see on local roads, which flash your speed) somewhere in the harbour to catch these thoughtless twerps.

Poey50

Visit site
Our 32 footer is at the western end of the reach (0 degrees 52.21' West). There is more fetch when the wind is WSW but we put a big metal mooring spring on to soften the hobby-horsing and it is fine. I wouldn't leave her on there all year round, though.

bumblefish

Visit site
The harbour team will apparently move her eastwards in the winter, I quite like the idea of sailing on and off the mooring which I can not manage single handed at the other end of the reach. I plan to double up woth strops to two foredeck cleats as well as the chain on the anchor cleat. I will look into a spring as well.