Italy to Uk in the not to distant future.....

SteveSarabande

Visit site
I just got off helping a delivery, he spent £20k on a yacht in S.Spain, survey was ok. He blew a gearbox after leaving AlmerimR, blew the engine up on route to Gib, the. Got to Lagos in a cloud of smoke. That needed a fuel pump and 2weeks delay. I joined him in Lagos and it took a week to get to porto, we broke down every day with fuel blockages, diesel bug or dirty tanks. For the trip to lagos he had a paid skipper on board and two friends, he paid all flights and food for them.

I left him in Porto with fuel problems unresolved and a week or so of bad weather forecast. He is looking for new crew. He can't leave it there until spring as the boat is his new liv aboard home. In this 8 week period he has lost all his income and is on unpaid leave. He has no cash left and over £10k on credit cards. If he gets crew he has Biscay to contend with in autumn.

I read on here a delivery from Spain on a lorry would be around £5k, a bargain based on what he has spent.

He was undoubtedly unlucky but if he had gone for a lorry he would be home, back at work and the problems could be sorted in slow time over winter.

Delivery in winter won' t be easy unless you are lucky with the weather. Hence my suggestion to get a lorry home.