Italian GRIB website

Ric

Visit site
Last summer some Italians showed me an Italian GRIB weather site which was extremely good at predicting the wind in straits of Bonifacio and Maddalena. Unfortunately I didn't note the web address, and can't find it googling. Does anybody else use it?

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com

Ric

Visit site
I found the wind forecasts good - I presumed because the grid size was smaller than that of GFS, COAMPS, and SWS. I also presumed that it was their own model, rather than just differently packaged data from elsewhere.

danielefua

Visit site
I found the wind forecasts good - I presumed because the grid size was smaller than that of GFS, COAMPS, and SWS. I also presumed that it was their own model, rather than just differently packaged data from elsewhere.

WRF is one of the most advanced Local Area Models nowadays being tested by the scientific community all over the World. It originated in the USA but whoever tests it, usually contributes also to its development.

Daniel

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com

At the top of the chartlets it says that the model is NMM using a grid of 0.1 degree ie about 10 km, the same as many other meso-scale models. That really means that they can only define weather and topography on a scale of about 50 kms. That may be enough to improve over the GFS 25 km (although they only issue at 50 km.)

I am surprised that they are using WW3 for waves. Bill Reilly tells me that Cyprus (?) University has a better model used by Passageweather in their COAMPS pages. Further FNMOC has a Mediterranean wave model. See the WeatherTrack app.