italian coast stops

baggypipes

freewebs.com
any advice welcome please
We have a 9mtr cat & will be leaving the french canals in April n turning left.
Does anyone have advice on inexpensive marinas or safe anchorages along the south France & Italian coast whilst on route. We have a dog on board so will not do long passages but will need to get him ashore
many thanks

Cinnamon

www.vega1494.blogspot.com
I remember some very good anchorages on some of the Italian islands (west coast). Can't be more specific but I was using the Italian Waters Pilot (Rod Heikell) and I would have got the info from that. V. usefull book to have!
Good trip!

LadyJessie

Visit site
Marinas on the south French coast are indeed expensive by most European standards, but I paid about the same along the English south coast so it might not seem expensive to you if you come from old Blighty. You can easily avoid the marinas as there are lots of very good anchorages along the Riviera, costs nothing and you take your dingy into the nice cafe's. My favourite would be Villefrance, a large very protected bay just east of Nice with a very nice village. The marina there gives you free water when you fill up with diesel. Maybe even without? I never tried but it is worth asking. You can also easily anchor off outside St. Tropez harbour entrance and be in the old harbour with your dingy within 5 minutes. If there is a strong NW, go into the bay just east of the harbour. Lots of more examples like that.

LadyJessie

Visit site
You rattled my memory with your post (takes a while in an old cruiser). But I checked my records and I actually paid more on the English south coast marinas than I have ever paid on the Riviera (with one exception: St Tropez). I was always charged 23 pounds in England (price fixing cartell??)and that translates to about 35 euros. I only paid more in St Tropez during July-Aug. Otherwise, charges varied between low 22 to normally about 30-35 in high season. I have a monohull 39 ft.

But the real aim of this post is to add another marina I can recommend, especially as it does not get a good write-up by Heikell but I have good experiences here: Saint-Laurent-de-Var west of Nice. This is a ery noisy marina as it is next to a major road and just some kilometres from Nice airport. But it has some major advantages as well: great restaurants and bars. It is walking distance to the largest shopping centre in the Nice area with a giant Lafayette Gourmet store. It has a very small but extremely well stocked chandlery and it has the main Volvo Penta repair representative on the Riviera. I used the latter and can only whole-heartedly recommend them; they did the most professional engine service I have ever had and the price was very reasonable. The marina is naturally ideal if you are picking up crew from Nice airport.

It is crowded and it might be a struggle to get a cat in. However, the capitainerie are extremely service minded and will do their outmost to get you in somewhere, however don't expect to get more than two-three days here but that is usually fine. If they are really full, they will let you moor on the capitanerie quay if you just promise to be off in the morning which normally means a very social 10 ish time. It is a nice place that grows on you, despite the noise. And BTW, this is the cheapest marina: 22 euros for me: hard to beat.

baggypipes

freewebs.com
many thanks for the replies we have the pilot book a bit old, hopefully ok though. have been told about the little islands sound worth a look as & when we discover whats about we can hopefully help others
Ta /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
During April, May and June you will find costs are pretty reasonable along the French coast. Euros per night for 10.6 metres we paid 21 in Port Camargue, 24 in Port Gardian, 19 in Frioul, 26 in La Ciotat, 16 in Sanary, 14 on a buoy in Port Cros, 21 in Port Cavalaire, 31.75 in St Maxime, 28 in Antibes.

In France, Port St Louis is very reasonable and friendly. We stayed a week due to weather, paid 101 Euros. Not too many anchorages but Porquerolles island is excellent with shelter from most directions. The islands off Cannes are also good but could be rough in easterlies.

Once in Italy, look out for Porto Communales, where berthing is free for up to three nights. We stayed at San Remo, highly recommended, and Sestri Levante, very nice. In both places the berthing is not ideal and we once had to move for a fishing boat to unload, but what do you expect for free?

Elba has loads of anchorages, although much of the shallower water is taken up by moorings.

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
I spent from May to August last year going north-west from Sicily to P St L du Rhone. Staying in all sorts of places you might like. Lots of anchorages off French coast and around the islands. Nicest marina and town Menton and reasonable price.

Italian harbours sometimes have a free spot but not all. I like Genoa for the city and Tropea for the welcome. I would avoid Procidia for the cost of filth, Capri for the basic cost, 180 Es for a 30 footer on a Saturday night. Favourite anchorages too many but Volcano was memorable for the welcome good holding in 51 knots.

Bon voyage

Captain_Cava

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Capri for the basic cost, 180 Es for a 30 footer on a Saturday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a typo? £122 for one night?

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
No, that was price I was verbally quoted by the company operating the marina. I queried it and was given their glossy brochure confirming the cost. The cost for any other night for a 30 footer was 90 E. They double the charge for Saturdays, I guess to milk weekenders leaving Naples for the night. From what I have heard of the facilities in Naples it would be worth every penny. The city itself is a take it or leave it opportunity.

There is a good anchorage on the other side of Capri called Pico something. The community come to you at 0800 offering to remove any refuse you have, free of charge. In 1999 anchoring near Capri marina was difficult because of the depth in an area where you will not be visited by the police asking you to move further out. More than 20 metres was difficult for me on a lightweight 25 footer with 30 m of chain, no winch and no knowlege of the bottom further out.